[Vision2020] The UI Friday Letter for October 6, 2006

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Fri Oct 6 12:07:32 PDT 2006

Copied and pasted below is the UI Friday Letter for October 6, 2006 from UI
President White.

University of Idaho
Office of the President
Moscow, Idaho 83844-3151
Phone: 208-885-6365
Fax: 208-885-6558

The Friday Letter
A Newsletter for University of Idaho Alumni and Friends
Oct. 6, 2006

Dear Friends,

Fall is definitely in the air here in Moscow. The weather is turning just a
bit crisper, and the men and women Vandals are coming off impressive
efforts; a football victory at Utah State, a volleyball victory over Boise
State and strong performances by golf and cross-country. Homecoming Week is
in full swing. Karen, Logan and I look forward to welcoming alumni and
friends back to campus this week, and enjoying the Homecoming halftime show
our students have planned for us-all to celebrate the pride, excitement,
optimism and change we feel here at the University of Idaho.

The University continues to pursue options for much-needed improvements and
expansion of our athletics facilities, while ideally creating an all-purpose

Events Pavilion for our community. As reported to the Idaho State Board of
Education and in the local media over the summer and fall, our architects
will complete a feasibility study next month. Based on their findings, we
will review possible concepts for solutions. Then, we will explore the
financial viability of pursuing one of those concepts. When the required
amount and combination of private and public funds are identified, we'll
seek Board approval for the green light to create the facility that our
extended Vandal community truly deserves. And we can look forward to
celebrating future Homecomings in new-and-improved Vandal style!

Among the many programs in addition to athletics that would benefit from the

Events Pavilion concept are the Lionel Hampton International Jazz Festival,
commencement, and other annual arts and lecture activities. These events
often attract overflow crowds to our existing facilities.

Next week, the Sherman J. Bellwood Lecture Series welcomes former U.S.
Senators Gary Hart and Alan Simpson, who will debate national security and
the constitution-a critically timely discourse, and one that our students
are most fortunate to be able to join.

It is events like the Bellwood, along with the wonderful mix of performing
arts, athletics and diverse activities across the University, that create a
vibrancy and a buzz about this remarkable place. The University of Idaho
truly helps inspire and prepare students, intellectually, culturally and
physically, as they embark on a transformative path toward responsibility,
success and global citizenship.

Tim White
President

Here's the latest news from the University of Idaho:

Evidence of generous support to the University of Idaho is evident on campus
and across the state. Leading supporters who have made a difference during
the past fiscal year were recognized at the annual University Gala, held on
campus last night. This year, 16 new members were welcomed into the Idaho
Society, with cumulative lifetime giving of $100,000. Harold and Donna Nokes
from McCall, and Ron and Sherrie Auen of the Auen Foundation in Palm Desert,
Calif., were inducted into the Gem Society for their lifetime gifts in
excess of $1 million. For more information about how you can make a gift and
change a life at the University of Idaho, please visit the University of
Idaho Foundation Web site at:

www.uidaho.edu/givetoidaho

Sustainable communities, water issues and bioregional planning are
highlights of the 2006 University of Idaho Boise open house set for
Wednesday, Oct. 18, from 9-11:30 a.m. at the Idaho Water Center. The event
will feature a demonstration of the Ecohydraulics River Simulation
Laboratory and remarks from Pres. Tim White at 9:15 a.m. As part of the
festivities, the University Bookstore will be selling Idaho items Oct. 18
from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. and on Oct. 19 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. For more
information, go to:

http://boise.uidaho.edu/default.aspx?pid=32724

During Fiscal Year 2006, 861 faculty, staff, retired faculty and staff and
UIRA members contributed an impressive $676,997 to the University. Many
chose to support Vandal Athletics, and others supported scholarships for our
outstanding students. Some supported the jazz festival, the Library and the
Arboretum. We are grateful that our employees give not only their time and
talents to the University of Idaho, but also their monetary support. For
more information about faculty and staff donations, or to make a gift
through payroll deduction, contact Linda Williams at lwms at uidaho.edu.

Take care, Moscow (you, too, Vandals).

Tom Hansen
Vandalville, Idaho
UI '96

Came a tribe from the north brave and bold . . .

"Here We Have Idaho"
http://www.tomandrodna.com/HWHI.mp3

"I-D-A-H-O Idaho Idaho Go Go Go"
http://www.tomandrodna.com/Vandals.mp3