[Vision2020] The Envious of the Two Michaels

The Scimitar thescimitar13 at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 5 19:07:12 PDT 2006

Warning: This may be a bit longer than some care to read, but I seldom post.
Your readership is appreciated.

Reformation Day is Oct. 31.  Let us remember that "all" Reformers are
fallible--very, very fallible--and some, as in churches everywhere, may not believe
or be what they profess and appear as.

"On October 27, 1553 John Calvin, founder of Calvinism, had Michael Servetus,
Spanish physician, burned at the stake just outside Geneva for his doctrinal
heresies.  Thus, the originator of the popular doctrine of "once saved, always
saved" (known in certain circles as "the perseverance of the saints") violated the
cry of the Reformation--"Sola Scriptura"--by murdering a doctrinal heretic without
Scriptural justification.  This event was something Calvin had considered long
before Servetus was even captured, for Calvin wrote his friend, Farel, on
Feb. 13, 1546 (seven years prior to Servetus' arrest) and went on record as
saying:

'If he {Servetus} comes {to Geneva}, I shall never let him go out alive if my
authority has weight.'

Calvin's authority had ultimate weight and is why some referred to Geneva as the
"Rome of Protestantism" and Calvin as the "Protestant Pope of Geneva."  During
Servetus' trial, Calvin wrote: 'I hope that the verdict will call for the death penalty.'
Obviously, Calvin fed and sheltered a prolonged and murderous hate in his heart
and was willing to violate Scripture to put another to death and in a most cruel
manner.  And though Calvin consented to Servetus' request to be beheaded, he
acquiesced to the mode of execution employed by fire."

(Some words above have been changed, though not the meaning; the above
taken from www.sullivan-county.com/news/mine/servetus.htm --  "His Ashes
Cry Out Against John Calvin" article by Dan Corner). For those interested, it
would highly be recommended to read this brief, but concise article at the above
website.  It is a very important part of church history from the Reformation period
that is generally, unfortunately, concealed; it does not show Calvinism in the
glory it chooses to foster.

Servetus was cruelly imprisoned, treated atrociously, and the Geneva Calvinists
*prolonged* his death by fire savagely having no care for the excruciating pains
of his body let alone for the good of his eternal soul.  And yet he did not even
come close in any imagination to what Sitler did.

Christ stated in Matthew 12:31,32, "Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin
and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men:  but the blasphemy against the Holy
Spirit shall not be forgiven unto men.  And whosoever speaketh a word against
the Son of man, it shall be forgiven unto him:  but whosoever speaketh against
the Holy Spirit, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the
world to come."  Michael Servetus did not deny Christ as God, and he may very
well have accepted Christ as his Lord and Savior.  We cannot with absolute
certainty look into the hearts of men; only God is able.  Servetus had stated,
"I shall admit these three things:  first, this man is Jesus Christ; second, he is
the Son of God; third, he is God."  See www.bcbsr.com/topics/servetus.html
His final words while being burned alive was, "Jesu, thou Son of the eternal God,
have compassion upon me!"  Farel, good friend of Calvin, noted "that Servetus
might have been saved by shifting the position of the adjective and confessing
Christ as the Eternal Son rather than as the Son of the Eternal God." (See
note #12 on the sullivan-county.com site).  And yet a heartless modern day
Calvinist comments on Servetus' final agonizing words while being burned alive
tied to a stake saying, "This phrase epitomizes the essence of his Trinitarian
error" for he said "Son of the eternal God" rather than "eternal Son of God."
(See the bcbsr website).  Such true Christian love.

Whether Servetus was a heretic or not, execution (sanctioned state murder in
this instance) is not the penalty for this offense.  Titus 1:9-14 states how a
heretic was to be dealt with. (See the Sullivan County website).

Some Official Reasons for being burned alive:
*Accused of teaching against infant baptism
*Accused of defaming John Calvin
*Accused of refraining from marriage for a "long time"
*Accused of denying the Trinity
None above are biblical justifications for the death penalty.
(See www.bcbsr.com/topics/servetus.html for a Comprehensive List of Official
Charges)

Though I personally believe in eternal security for a true Believer, and Dan
Corner's article *may* not, it still stands that there is nothing to suggest that
Calvin ever repented of this sin/crime, and "the next year Calvin published a
defense in which further insults were heaped upon his former adversary in most
vindictive and intemperate language." (See note # 13 on the Sullivan site).  How
sweet the serrated edge, even after death.

Concerning the two Michaels, what seems to be pride, envy, malice and
arrogance on the part of John Calvin and Douglas Wilson is manifested to those
whom they perceive to "cross" them.  In the article, "The Murder of Michael
Servetus" under the bcbsr website, it is stated, "in fact in his book "Calvin And
His Enemies" Rev. Thomas Smyth D.D. admits that Servetus was not really
condemned because of his doctrine, but because of the manner in which he
maintained them.  Meaning that he was not a man-pleaser, but spoke his
manner (much as Jesus did).  In this way he offended the religious elite (much
as Jesus did) and was condemned to death not because of his doctrine, but
because he humiliated the proud.  Yet many Calvinists simply place the blame
on Servetus.  'If ever a poor fanatic thrust himself into the fire,' says
J.T. Coleridge, 'it was Michael Servetus.'  While they strive to hold John Calvin
as the victim of circumstance."

Servetus' attitude was shown to be far more Christlike than Calvin's bloodthirsty,
serrated one.  After Servetus' murder, Calvin stated "Many people have accused
me of such ferocious cruelty that (they allege) I would like to kill again the man
I have destroyed.  Not only am I indifferent to their comments, but I rejoice in the
fact that they spit in my face."  "Whoever shall now contend that it is unjust to
ptu heretics and blasphemers to death will knowingly and willingly incur their
very guilt."  The excuse that such terrible behavior was the custom of the time is
not biblical justification.  Calvin had in possession the same Scriptures we have
and the same responsibility to search God's Word independently of his coveted
agenda.  "This is an example not uncommon of how even popular institutional
leaders in the church can end up committing atrocious crimes.  Because of
their elitist attitude, they cannot handle humiliation and thus react with even
bloodthirsty hostility.  Chirst's death was one example, and Servetus' another."

Read the complete, brief, and also concise article above on the bcbsr site to see
the serrated statements of John Calvin in comparison to what's been seen
coming from Doug Wilson's serrated attitude and tongue.

On Doug Wilson's blog under "Rights and Privileges"--Topic:  A Justice Primer
(9/27/06), D. Wilson states, "I have banned Michael Metzler from this list, and
I did so because of his boorish lack of manners.  This issue is not a
"disagreement" in itself, of some kind of allergic reaction on my part to primary
documents.  All sorts of people express disagreement with various things said
on this blog, and they do so within the bounds of Christian discourse, and they
do so untrammeled by me.  Michael was warned a number of times before he
was evicted, but the warnings only made the situation worse."  How much like
the Rev. Thomas Smyth's statement above concerning Calvin's attitude towards
Michael Servetus.

Wilson writes on his blog under "Ligonier:  Catnip of the Internet!"--Topic:  A
Justice Primer under # 7 on 9/26/06, "The witnesses that come out of the
woodwork whenever something like this errupts on the internet are consistent in
one thing only -- their malice and envy."  Really?  Malicious about what and
envious towards you (or Ligonier) about what?  Is one envious about your wealth,
house, wife, children, power, influence, or could it be your *winsome* ways,
unchristian serrated attitude and mouth, lies, deceit, intimidation, arrogance and
such untarnished honor?  Those who voice antagonism towards you in a way
*perhaps* they shouldn't, may just be following your serrated edge which has a
different feel when not being dished out by you and yours, but be assured,
whether you care or not, there are those at opposite ends of you who pray for
you--and not imprecatory prayers--we all need biblical prayer as Christ
commanded.  The accusers of Jesus aren't yours.  Christ had none of the
commodities and characteristics listed above, except His might as the Almighty
God which He never used to abuse the spirits of men.  Christ said "...I am come
that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.  I am the
good shepherd:  the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep" (John 10:10,11).
Our sustenance comes not from you, Doug, but from our Creator.  And let it be
known that anonymous accusers are not mentioned in Deuteronomy 19 as you
state in your above topic under # 1, but it is false witnesses who are to be
penalized.  In this same article of yours under # 2 you state, "The Bible prohibits
solitary accusation against elders (I Tim. 5:19); this means that two or three
(accountable) witnesses are required for each specification."  You fail to continue
the following Scripture, verse 20, which states, "Rebuke before the whole
assembly those leaders who continue sinning, as a warning to the others."  That
being said, biblical mandate warrants you to step down from the pastorate,
though it doesn't appear that you will as it seems from your past and current
conduct you rationalize the end justifies the means.  And this is why the
Reformed seem not to police their pastors and other elders, etc., and they should
because of their postmillennial stance.

An admonition to any...I John 4:1, Dear people, believe not every spirit, but test
the spirits to see whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone
out into the world."  (While this Scripture is pertaining to those who deny Jesus
Christ came in the flesh as God's only begotten Son, this does not mean that
one who professes Christ as God incarnated will alone qualify one for pastorship
as dictated by the Bible).

"That we henceforth be no more little children, tossed to and fro, and blown along
by every wind of teaching, at the mercy of people clever in devising ways to
deceive" (Ephesians 4:14).

"The mind of a person with discernment gets knowledge, and the ear of the wise
seeks knowledge" (Proverbs 18:15).

"Now the people here were of nobler character than the ones in Thessalonica, in
that they eagerly received the Word, and searched the Scriptures daily, whether
those things were so that Paul was saying" (Acts 17:11).

"All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is valuable for teaching the truth,
convicting of sin, correcting faults and training in right living..." (II Timothy 3:16).

"Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; test your own selves"
(II Corinthians 13:5).

"For do I now persuade men, or God?  or do I seek to please men?  for if I yet
pleased men, I should not be the servant of Christ" (Galatians 1:10).

"For our appeal was not of deceit, nor of impure motives, neither do we try to
trick people:  But as we were allowed of God to be put in trust with the Gospel,
even so we speak; not as pleasing men, but God, which trieth our hearts"
(I Thessalonians 2:3,4).

Concerning Re Kirker Wisdom,  Hmmm....imprecatory prayers or wishes,
heirdoug.  How Christlike.  More Calvins, more Farels.  I rest my case.

<Scimitar>