[Vision2020] downtown

Art Deco deco at moscow.com
Wed Oct 4 16:59:49 PDT 2006

Traffic flows and stop sign timings are generally set by using applied
topology, specifically network theory, using computer programs called
network analysis.  In order to get the timings to work optimally, the data
collected on traffic volume and direction used as input for these programs
must be accurate.

Here are some problems:

1.    The direction and volumes of traffic may vary greatly depending on the
time of day, but the stop lights appear to be only set for the average of
the day and do not appear to shift with the time of day.  Hence, sometimes
the system is set for just the opposite of what it should be.

2.    In regulating a quadrangle (Washington, Sixth, Jackson, 3rd) one of
the four nodes must be the "bleeder" node, i.e. must be off a little to take
or to give slack so that the other nodes function correctly.  The more
flexible the system is as to time of day variances, the less problem will be
the problem noticed at the "bleeder" node.

There have been problems setting the lights for this quadrangle for
sometime.  If my memory is correct, it took more than a year with several
resets to get it to be fairly decent.  I do not understand this as there are
many free network flow analysis programs available.  Perhaps the traffic
flow data used was not as carefully gathered as it could have been.  It need
not be said that the IDT does not appear to be over-endowed with engineering
prowess.

One thing has not changed.  People turning left onto Third from Washington
continue to do so long after the light has changed to yellow and to red.
People going all three directions at Sixth and Jackson frequently run the
yellow (they do not get out of the intersection after entering it while the
yellow is on and before the red comes on) and less frequently, but scarier,
just plain run the red light, especially going west on Sixth or turning
right from Jackson.

I do not understand the reluctance to enforce the traffic laws at these two
nodes -- one is only a block from the police station.  Perhaps a city
council member, the mayor, or a city staff person can comment on that part
of the problem and also on what they are doing to find a solution to the
other parts of the problem.

W.