[Vision2020] Wilson-Nielsen debate

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 4 16:01:59 PDT 2006

Ralph,

 You are not going to debate Wilson because of a letter  he wrote back 1993? Boy, I hope people don't hold me accountable to the  things I said 13 years ago.

  I also hope you know the Argonaut edits letters it gets too.

  I think if you are going to attack someone in public, you need to at  least be willing to meet with them in public in a debate or discussion  format, otherwise you will rightfully earn the term of a yellow-belly.

  Best,

  DJA

Ralph Nielsen <nielsen at uidaho.edu> wrote:   Thanks but no thanks. I do not appreciate having my letters
sneeringly referred to as "screeds" or being accused of "chewing on
Christianity's ankle" as if I were a dog (Wilson's letter to the
Argonaut, Oct. 14, 1993). Neither do I care to be categorized as
"Debate or coward" (heirdoug's heading in yesterday's Vision2020).

 I much prefer the civilized discourse of real Bible scholars,
whether Jewish, Catholic, Protestant, agnostic or atheist, such as
one meets in professional organizations like the Society of Biblical
Literature, the world's oldest and largest association of Bible
scholars. Two years ago I attended the national convention of the
SBL, held jointly with the American Academy of Religion, in San
Antonio TX. There were 8,400 of us in attendance. Doug Wilson and his
group refuse to attend even regional meetings of the Pacific
Northwest Division of the SBL when they are held locally at the
University of Idaho or at Gonzaga University in Spokane. It would
seem that it is Doug and his friends who are afraid of the Bible.

Ralph Nielsen

 List services made available by First Step Internet,
          mailto:Vision2020 at moscow.com