[Vision2020] Wilson-Nielsen debate

Ralph Nielsen nielsen at uidaho.edu
Wed Oct 4 15:46:47 PDT 2006

	Thanks but no thanks. I do not appreciate having my letters
sneeringly referred to as "screeds" or being accused of "chewing on
Christianity's ankle" as if I were a dog (Wilson's letter to the
Argonaut, Oct. 14, 1993). Neither do I care to be categorized as
"Debate or coward" (heirdoug's heading in yesterday's Vision2020).

	I much prefer the civilized discourse of real Bible scholars,
whether Jewish, Catholic, Protestant, agnostic or atheist, such as
one meets in professional organizations like the Society of Biblical
Literature, the world's oldest and largest association of Bible
scholars. Two years ago I attended the national convention of the
SBL, held jointly with the American Academy of Religion, in San
Antonio TX. There were 8,400 of us in attendance. Doug Wilson and his
group refuse to attend even regional meetings of the Pacific
Northwest Division of the SBL when they are held locally at the
University of Idaho or at Gonzaga University in Spokane. It would
seem that it is Doug and his friends who are afraid of the Bible.

Ralph Nielsen