[Vision2020] downtown

roger hayes rhayes at turbonet.com
Sun Oct 1 08:14:27 PDT 2006

The northbound pavement project seems to be nearly complete. Since
Washington street was reopened it certainly is more difficult crossing
on foot or competing on bicycle with the speeding wall of traffic
moving through town. Vehicles are traveling at high rates of speed
again.  It was certainly nice having only 2 lanes of traffic for the
past few weeks. The traffic was slower, and it seemed there was much
less of it. Crossing the street, or riding on it was so much easier and
safer. Oh well, nothing can be done, I suppose.

The question I pose is, why when we open more lanes of travel does it
seem to breed more cars?  One would think having more lanes of travel
would dilute the volume. The movie axiom seems to apply. "If you build
it, they will come."

Roger Hayes