[Vision2020] The Dixie Chicks Messed Up Their Plans...

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Tue Nov 28 12:17:29 PST 2006

Roger et. al.

I wrote "other statements induce a highly skeptical reaction," and that
(emphasis on the "if") "if it is true that there was a coordinated effort to
block Buffy Sainte-Marie's music," regarding the story on Buffy Sainte-Marie
at the web link I gave, which indicate doubt about the truth of the claims
made in that story

As to the censorship of "rock n' roll," I think a close examination of
history reveals there was censorship of various kinds (rather unsuccessful
in the long run given the eventual popularity of this music), though whether
the government in any way coordinated any such effort is a question I cannot
answer.

However, the main point of my post was a "culture war" analysis of the Dixie
Chicks and how they were censored (radio stations refusing to play their
music) after one of their members made certain political statements, for
which they did receive death threats.  This is certain.  And the fact the
Dixie Chicks were a "country music" act, I think, made them more of a target
for certain audiences who expect county music to be more of a conservative
leaning "All American" music.  I do not think this analysis is a stretch.
Like I said, if Bob Dylan had made an anti-war statement about the war in
Iraq, would this have raised as many eye brows as the Dixie Chicks doing the
same?

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/03/15/entertainment/main544132.shtml

Anyway, the attacks on the Dixie Chicks did not appear to damage their
careers substantially, as they remain popular:

http://dir.salon.com/topics/dixie_chicks/index.html

<http://judo.salon.com/RealMedia/ads/click_lx.ads/www.salonmagazine.com/directory.html/1444476926/Right/default/empty.gif/61636331323930363435316564393330>
<http://judo.salon.com/RealMedia/ads/click_nx.cgi/www.salonmagazine.com/directory.html@Right>
<http://www.salon.com/ent/movies/feature/2006/10/27/kopple/index.html>
*"Everybody
needs an honest
shake"*<http://www.salon.com/ent/movies/feature/2006/10/27/kopple/index.html>

Academy Award-winning director Barbara Kopple talks about her new Dixie
Chicks movie, "Shut Up & Sing," and why she hopes their fans will forgive
them.

By Stephanie Zacharek [2006-10-27]
As to President Kennedy's assassination, I think a thorough and exacting
analysis will lead to continuing serious questions regarding who was behind
this.

Ted Moffett