[Vision2020] The Human Toll

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Tue Nov 28 11:42:58 PST 2006

"The notion that we ought to now go to Baghdad and somehow take control of
the country strikes me as an extremely serious one in terms of what we'd
have to do once we got there. You'd probably have to put some new government
in place. It's not clear what kind of government that would be, how long
you'd have to stay. For the U.S. to get involved militarily in determining
the outcome of the struggle over who's going to govern in Iraq strikes me as
a classic definition of a quagmire."

- Dick Cheney, 1991
http://www.tomandrodna.com/Stuff/Cheney_Quagmire.mp3

------

>From the December 4, 2006 edition of the Army Times -

U.S. service members who died while supporting combat operations in Iraq,
confirmed by the Defense Department from November 17 through November 23:

Marine Lance Cpl. Joshua C. Alonzo, 21, of Dumas, Texas; assigned to the 2nd
Battalion, 3rd Marine Regiment, 3rd Marine Division, III Marine
Expeditionary Force, Kaneohe Bay, Hawaii.

Marine Lance Cpl. James R. Davenport, 20, of Danville, Ind.; assigned to the
2nd Battalion, 3rd Marine Regiment, 3rd Marine Division, III Marine
Expeditionary Force, Kaneohe Bay, Hawaii.

Marine Cpl. Michael C. Ledsome, 24, of Austin, Texas; assigned to the 3rd
Battalion, 2nd Marine Regiment, 2nd Marine Division, II Marine Expeditionary
Force, Camp Lejeune, N.C.

Army Pvt. Reece D. Moreno, 19, of Prescott, Ariz.; assigned to the 92
Engineer Battalion, 3rd Sustainment Brigade, 3rd Infantry Division, Fort
Stewart, Ga.

Army Sgt. James P. Musack, 23, of Riverside, Iowa; assigned to the 7th
Squadron, 10th Cavalry Regiment, 1st Brigade Combat Team, 4th Infantry
Division, Fort Hood, Texas.

Army Sgt. 1st Class James D. Priestap, 39, of Harwood, Mich.; assigned to
the 46th Military Police Company, Kingsford, Mich.

Marine Cpl. Nicholas P. Rapavi, 22, of Springfield, Va.; assigned to the 2nd
Battalion, 8th Marine Regiment, 2nd Marine Division, II Marine Expeditionary
Force, Camp Lejeune, N.C.

Army Spc. Bradley N. Shilling, 22, of Stanwood, Mich.; assigned to the 1st
Battalion, 125th Infantry Regiment (Mechanized), Big Rapids, Mich.

Army Spc. Eric Vizcaino, 21, of New Mexico; assigned to the 2nd Battalion,
505th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 3rd Brigade Combat Team, 82nd Airborne
Division, Fort Bragg, N.C.

Marine Pvt. Heath D. Warner, 19, of Canton, Ohio; assigned to the 2nd
Battalion, 3rd Marine Regiment, 3rd Marine Division, III Marine
Expeditionary Force, Kaneohe Bay, Hawaii.

Army Command Sgt. Maj. Donovan E. Watts, 46, of Atlanta, Ga.; assigned to
the 1st Battalion, 505th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 3rd Brigade Combat
Team, 82nd Airborne Division, Fort Bragg, N.C.

Lance Cpl. Jeromy D. West, 20, of Aguanga, Calif.; assigned to the 2nd
Battalion, 3rd Marine Regiment, 3rd Marine Division, III Marine
Expeditionary Force, Kaneohe Bay, Hawaii.

November 17 - November 23
Killed: 12; wounded in action: 100

March 19, 2003 - November 23, 2006
Killed: 2,868; wounded in action: 21,778

And the beat goes on . . .

"Bring 'em Home"
http://www.tomandrodna.com/Songs/Bring_em_home.mp3

"If you love this land of the free
Bring 'em home, bring 'em home
Bring them back from overseas
Bring 'em home, bring 'em home

It will make the politicians sad, I know
Bring 'em home, bring 'em home
They wanna tangle with their foe
Bring 'em home, bring 'em home

They wanna test their grand theories
Bring 'em home, bring 'em home
With the blood of you and me
Bring 'em home, bring 'em home

Now we'll give no more brave young lives
Bring 'em home, bring 'em home
For the gleam in someone's eyes
Bring 'em home, bring 'em home

The men will cheer and the boys will shout
Bring 'em home, bring 'em home
Yeah and we will all turn out
Bring 'em home, bring 'em home

The church bells will ring with joy
Bring 'em home, bring 'em home
To welcome our darlin' girls and boys
Bring 'em home, bring 'em home

We will lift their voice and sound
Bring 'em home, bring 'em home
Yeah, when Johnny comes marching home
Bring 'em home, bring 'em home."

Seeya round town, Moscow.

Tom Hansen
Vandalville, Idaho

"Patriotism is not a short and frenzied outburst of emotion but the tranquil
and steady dedication of a lifetime."

-- Adlai E. Stevenson, Jr.