[Vision2020] seatbelts and more

Shirley Ringo ringoshirl at moscow.com
Tue Nov 21 09:46:56 PST 2006

Visionaries:

I have two terms on the Transportation and Defense Committee of the Idaho Legislature.  The issue of seat belts has received considerable attention.  Given the leanings of many members of that committee, the prevailing opinion on the committee has been consistent with what some posts express here - it should be up to adults whether or not to wear them.

Personally, I think this involves more than an adult's decision to risk the consequences of failing to wear a seat belt.  There are such issues as potential long term care, loss of loved ones, loss of wage earners, etc.  I believe this implies emotional costs, healthcare costs, and possible public assistance - costs inflicted upon many people other than the victim of the accident.  Also, I think any survivor of an accident resulting in serious injury or death would carry the memory of it forever, affecting the rest of that person's life.  For these reasons, I favor stronger seat belt legislation.

This discussion reminds me of another part of Idaho Code that I find troublesome.  In a moving vehicle, an infant may be removed from the protective restraining seat to be fed, or to tend to other needs.   (Clearly, if there is a life-threatening emergency, this may be necessary while the driver takes appropriate action.)  However, I think of the dire potential consequences should there be an accident.  It seems to me that a person should find a place to pull to the side of the road, or to leave the road in order to safely tend to an infant's or child's normal needs.  I think this part of Idaho Code needs to be changed.  (Title 49, Chapter 6 - 49-672)

Rep. Shirley Ringo