[Vision2020] Left-Wing Bias

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Fri Nov 17 13:42:24 PST 2006

>From the November 16, 2006 edition of the Lewiston Tribune with sour grapes
to Bret Duncan -

Left-Wing Bias

I thought your election coverage in Wednesday's [Nov. 8] paper was laughable
-- until I opened Thursday's [Nov. 9] paper.

On Wednesday in his Idaho District 7 coverage, Dean Ferguson writes that
voters "snubbed" a Republican candidate (Tony Snodderly) for the House. In
the same article, he writes that Joe Stegner "beat" Mike Naccarato in the
Senate race. What Ferguson doesn't write is that in recent House and Senate
elections, District 7 has voted mostly Democratic. Naccarato seems to be the
only Democrat who can't win. Any "snubbing" by voters in this election was
obviously directed at Naccarato, not Snodderly.

Also on Wednesday, your front page headline indicated that Bill Sali and
Larry Grant were "grappling" for the House seat. While the article indicated
Sali was ahead, Grant had not conceded. Additionally, you placed a checkmark
next to Tom Luna's name as the apparent winner over Jana Jones in the
superintendent of public instruction race, but no other mention of that race
was found anywhere in your Wednesday edition.

Fast forward to Thursday's paper: Confirmation that both Sali and Luna (both
Republicans) had won their races was buried in the bottom corner of page 3A.
Had Grant and/or Jones won, we could've expected front-page bold headlines.

I can stomach Ferguson's liberal whining and sour grapes in his
UpFront/Commentary pieces, and I can take J.F. [Jim Fisher] and T.H. [Tom
Henderson] ripping the GOP on the Opinion page, but when your left-wing bias
spills over into your news coverage, plan on being called on it every time.

Bret Duncan, Moscow

I guess that being a gracious winner is a challenge to some people.

And why shouldn't the rich pay taxes?

"The people that write laws are greedy.  They need money to buy votes.  What
better way to get it than to extract it, by force of law, from the
relatively few who can afford the nicer things in life.  If you can buy
something nice then you can pay more taxes so that politicians can give
something to the 'poor' and take a cut for themselves."

- Varnel W. (March 20, 2006)