[Vision2020] Tony Simpsom Shills for Terrorists Yet Again!

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 14 21:05:28 PST 2006

Matt Decker wrote:

>Sure the same reason you can explain they would have surrendered. I would
>love to carry this conversation on. If you can't realize what we "did" saved
>lives, then I won't though.
>
>Matt

Perhaps it saved many lives, I'm not a historian of WWII, but it also
took them too.  Hundreds of thousands of them.  Men, women, and
children.  Most of whom were non-combatant civilians.  According to
Wikipedia, 140,000 at Hiroshima and approximately the same number at
Nagasaki.

Hiroshima was targeted based on three criteria: 1) an important target
in an urban area of more than three miles in diameter, 2) capable of
being damaged effectively by a blast, and 3) that it was unlikely to be
attacked before they could drop the bomb on it.

There were five targets to choose from: Kyoto, Hiroshima, Yokohama,
Kokura Arsenal, and Niigata.  They wanted the greatest military effect
with the greatest psychological impact.  Kyoto and Hiroshima were
classified as AA targets, the rest A or B.  They even considered
dropping it on the Emperor's palace.

If they wanted to minimize civilian casualties, then dropping it in an
"urban area" would not have been their first criteria.

You can read the memo from the Target Committee at:
http://www.dannen.com/decision/targets.html

Was it worth the cost?  And to  whom?

What would have happened had we not dropped the bombs?  Whose lives
would have been lost because of it?

Paul