[Vision2020] Mossadegh, Iran's Democratic Prime Minister

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Tue Nov 14 10:55:47 PST 2006

Roger et. al.

Thanks for your response.

It seems that Mossadegh, as a democratically elected Middle Eastern leader,
who was not pushing Iran to become an Islamist state, who had a law degree
from a university in Switzerland and was thus somewhat "western" oriented in
his thinking, gets scant attention in many discussions of why the Middle
East is as it is today.

Of course, in the ideology of cold war politics in the early 1950s,
Mossadegh was called a communist who would take Iran into the Soviet block
and restrict western access to Iranian oil.  His greatest sin perhaps was
nationalizing the Iranian oil industry, which made the British, who were
heavily invested,  extremely "unhappy."  The Brits put a blockade in the
Persian gulf to stop Iranian oil shipments.

Ted Moffett