[Vision2020] Tet Offensive

Sunil Ramalingam sunilramalingam at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 13 16:14:31 PST 2006

Wow, Tony, you're quite a piece of work.  You accuse me of failing to engage
in fair-minded dialog even as you change the topic.

No Tony, the original question was not 'whether devastating military force
is a viable option in defeating a very dangerous adversary.'  I don't
disagree with that when it's being used on military forces, not on
civilians, and especially when our adversary has started the war, as Japan
or Nazi Germany did.  But that was never the point in this discussion, and
Iraq didn't start this war.

The original question is 'How do you define victory in Iraq?'  I ask this
because my point is that when you use devastating force at the same time you
claim to be trying to win hearts and minds, you will fail to accomplish the
latter.

Japan comes up because you and Pat bring it up.  Pat keeps saying that
because we succeeded in Japan we can do so in Iraq, and I think that's a
false comparison and entirely barren of the truth.

You ask, ' But why do you see no merit whatsoever in this administration's
efforts to free this viciously oppressed population?'

I don't think we went to Iraq to free the Iraqi people.  That was not the
Administration's reason for asking for authority to attack Iraq.  If you are
interested in honest dialog you will have to concede this point.
Humanitarian rationales were tossed in like the parsley garnish on the side
of last night's dinner plate.

No, the reason for the war was because Iraq was supposed to be an imminent
threat because they had WMD.  Not WMD programs, or the ability to resurrect
such programs, but because they had such weapons.  And even when the
inspectors who were on site said they could find nothing, Bush went ahead
with the war.

The Administration has been changing war rationales ever since, giving one
story after another, all the while building massive permanent bases in Iraq.
  When someone repeatedly changes their story, I say to myself, 'He's
lying.'  And that's what they're doing here - lying. Why are we building
those bases, Tony?  If we're trying to free them, why do we need a massive
long-term presence there?  Why do we need the biggest embassy we've ever
built anywhere?  If Clinton had changed his story this way, both of us would
be able to spot him lying.

'And why have you so little patience for those who would support our
leadership in that objective?'

Because people are dying.  Because this idiot plan is not going to work, and
they're going to keep dying.  And  'those who would support our leadership
in that objective' cannot point to a single place in the Middle East where a
plan like this has worked.  Do you think your blind faith in an unproven
theory is a good enough reason to ask someone else to die?

Sunil