[Vision2020] Boycotts and morality

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Wed Nov 8 16:56:12 PST 2006

Art is right in pointing out that boycotts can be used in the service of
morality, as in the case of Dr. King and the Montgomery bus boycotts, or in
the furtherance of immorality, such as the economic disenfranchisement of
the Jews that helped to usher in the Holocaust.

All of us make choices with our money.  Sometimes we use our money to affirm
better service, better selection, better prices, or better quality.  Other
times we withhold it from those who offer a service or product that is below
standard and do so rudely or incompetently.  And then there are those times
when we withhold our patronage from people who, while undoubtedly very kind
themselves, have chosen to identify with a man or an organization whose
beliefs and practices are reprehensible to us.

I generally choose not to shop at businesses owned by those who attend
Christ Church.  However, I have bought kitchen towels at Bella Vita, because
I was hoping, after my radio debate with her father, to meet Rachel, the
owner.  I ate last month at West of Paris at the kind invitation of a Kirk
woman who seemed to genuinely want to get to know me.  To refuse would have
been a greater offense than inconsistency in purchasing decisions, and while
I hardly think the restaurant's owners felt graced by my presence, I did
want to honor my new acquaintance.  (And yes, the food was great!)
Nonetheless, I see the things coming out of the Kirk as so incompatible with
my beliefs that I choose not to give money to the businesses of those who,
even after the slavery debacle and other ugliness, cannot or will not
repudiate what their leaders do and say.  They're absolutely free to affirm
Wilson, et al, by remaining at Christ Church; I'm absolutely free to deny
Wilson, et al, and those practices and beliefs, by choosing to spend my
money elsewhere.  The "Christian Libertarians" among us forever extol the
virtues of the free market, and this non-libertarian agrees that the
"choice" aspect of it is wonderfully handy at times like this.

OK, so do I check the theology and moral practice of every store owner at
whose place I shop?  Nope.  But if I found that, say, Big Bubba Butkus at
Big Bubba's Used Cars was a member of a white separatist group, or had a
sign that told gays to get out of Idaho, I sure as hell wouldn't shop there.
  The things I hate about the Kirk are obvious enough to me, and ought to be
to its congregants, that I see continuing to support it with their presence,
their silence, and their tithes as an action I'm just not willing to
finance.

The outrageous and ugly behavior from the leadership at Christ Church isn't,
by the way, a normative expression of Christian faith and practice -- in
fact, it's antithetical to the Gospel.  People who suffer the loss of my
economic patronage aren't being persecuted because of their allegiance to
Christ -- especially not by this Christ-disciple.  They're reaping the
consequence of their allegiance to Doug Wilson.  However much Christ
Church's defenders would like to paint this as persecution, they surely dare
not compare it to Krystallnacht, just as they surely dare not compare
suffering for Doug with suffering for Christ.

keely