[Vision2020] The Insults Continue

nickgier at adelphia.net nickgier at adelphia.net
Mon Nov 6 13:50:28 PST 2006

Hail to the Vision!

I have a new rule for the V: if you have done your three posts for the day, but you have been insulted on the way, then you can waived the rule and have your say.

I just returned from a visit to Houston where I visited my Indian Christian graduate student and gave a talk at Rice University.  At the talk I was introduced as Professor Emeritus, not ex-professor.  Emeritus status means that I am a professor for life.

It does not mean inactive status.  In addition to collaborating with my Indian friend (we are publishing a paper together), I picked up two graduate students at Rice who have been inspired by my book "Spiritual Titanism."  (Those interested can check out www.class.uidaho.edu/ngier/steab.htm.)  I will be working closely with them as they finish their dissertations.

On Wednesday I will attend a meeting of Ph.D. committee on which I am outside reader.  Next semester I will become major professor for a UI grad student in philosophy.  I gave a guest lecture in Phil 309 last month and I will do another one in Phil 307 next week.

I'm still publishing papers, reviewing articles and books, and making slow but steady process on my book "On the Origins of Religious Violence."

I'm just as busy as when I was teaching and I'm loving every moment of it.

Nick Gier