[Vision2020] Flag Salute

Shirley Ringo ringoshirl at moscow.com
Sun Nov 5 07:57:30 PST 2006

Visionaries:

Every vote I have made from my first term in 1999 until the present has clearly been researched - I'm sure Falen had considerable help with this.  In any event I don't mind at all answering questions about these issues, I just resent distortions.

I'm going to paste in the text of the bill.  The issue for me was as follows:

Idaho law already required schools to teach the Pledge and respect for the flag.  This law dictates that districts require students to say the pledge daily.  It was my belief, from my considerable teaching experience, that it would be better to continue the practice of allowing each school to determine their own practices.  Bert Marley, who I believe was the only other teacher in the House at the time, agreed with me.  You may disagree with my opinion, but I assure you it was not a vote against the Pledge of Allegiance.

Shirley

AN ACT
  2    RELATING TO  COURSES  OF  INSTRUCTION  IN  PUBLIC  SCHOOLS;  AMENDING  SECTION
  3        33-1602,  IDAHO CODE, TO PROVIDE THAT THE UNITED STATES FLAG SHALL BE DIS-
  4        PLAYED IN EVERY PUBLIC SCHOOL CLASSROOM,  TO  PROVIDE  THAT  EVERY  PUBLIC
  5        SCHOOL  SHALL OFFER THE PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE OR THE NATIONAL ANTHEM AT THE
  6        BEGINNING OF EACH SCHOOL DAY, TO PROVIDE THAT NO PUPIL WHO  OBJECTS  SHALL
  7        BE  COMPELLED  TO PARTICIPATE IN RECITING THE PLEDGE OR SINGING THE ANTHEM
  8        AND TO MAKE TECHNICAL CORRECTIONS.

  9    Be It Enacted by the Legislature of the State of Idaho:

 10        SECTION 1.  That Section 33-1602, Idaho Code, be, and the same  is  hereby
 11    amended to read as follows:

 12        33-1602.  UNITED  STATES  CONSTITUTION  --  NATIONAL  FLAG  AND  COLORS --
 13    NATIONAL ANTHEM -- "AMERICA." a.(1) Instruction in  the  Constitution  of  the
 14    United  States  shall  be  given  in all elementary and secondary schools. The
 15    state board of education shall adopt such materials as may be deemed necessary
 16    for said purpose, and shall also determine the grades in which  such  instruc-
 17    tion shall be given;
 18        b.(2)  Instruction  in  the proper use, display and history of and respect
 19    for the American flag and the national colors shall be given in all elementary
 20    and secondary schools. Such instruction shall include the pledge of allegiance
 21    to the flag, the words and music of the national anthem, and of "America."
 22        (3)  Every school board of trustees shall cause the United States flag  to
 23    be displayed in every classroom during the school hours of each school day.
 24        (4)  Every  public  school  shall  offer  the  pledge of allegiance or the
 25    national anthem in grades one (1) through twelve (12) at the beginning of each
 26    school day.
 27        (5)  No pupil shall be compelled, against the pupil's objections or  those
 28    of  the  pupil's  parent or guardian, to recite the pledge of allegiance or to
 29    sing the national anthem.

Statement of Purpose / Fiscal Impact