[Vision2020] Who Has More Influence in the Media? Was: Active Troops by and large

Chasuk chasuk at gmail.com
Sat Nov 4 13:16:17 PST 2006

This is a repost.  It contains the same content,  but with a few typo
corrections.

I will walk you through the relevant excerpts.  The thread began properly
with this post from Chuck Kovis:

> You guys control the three branches of the federal goverment.  You control
> the three branches of Idaho government.    You control the media.  And you
> guys still bitch about liberals.  What the hell is the matter?

Matt Decker responded:

The thread meandered for a bit until Art Deco wrote:

> CNN's answer to Bill O'Reily is Glenn Beck,  Beck is just as conservative as
> O'Reily only not such an asshole about it.

Matt responded:

> Wow, golly, Gee Art. Your so right, and how could I think that the media has
> no spin. With all of the posts against my opinion, I have to believe that
> Air America, ABC,NBC,CBS, and CNN are all conservative driven. What on
> Darwins green earth was I thinking.

The thread is no longer about active troops supporting Bush; the title
really should have been changed.  Mea partially culpa.  I rectify that
in this post.  The tangent has clearly now devolved/evolved into a
discussion of who has more influence in the media, the conservatives
or the liberals.

I posted a list of conservative celebrities, "celebrities [known] for
their impassioned espousal of conservative values, not celebrities who
happen to be conservative."

Here is the relevant excerpt:

> I can name Rush Limbaugh, Ann Coulter, Glenn Beck, Sean Hannity,
> Michael Reagan, Gordon Liddy, Bill O'Reilly, Michael Savage, Michael
> Medved, and Laura Schlessinger.  I've probably missed a few.  All of
> them, celebrity conservatives (.i.e,. celebrities for their
> impassioned espousal of conservative values, not celebrities who
> happen to be conservative).

You post a list entirely dissimilar to mine, because you entirely miss
the point.

You write:

> So instead of "a comparable list full of celebrity liberals who get as much
> media exposure" that you originally asked for, the list must now be
> comprised of celebrity liberals who have radio talk shows?

Uh, you have it partially right, yes.  The discussion here is about
who has more influence in the media, the conservatives or the
liberals, which obviously means (as I clarified in my first post) that
any examples need to be "celebrities [known] for their impassioned
espousal of conservative values [or liberal], not celebrities who
happen to be conservative [or liberal]."

I don't know who most of these people are:

Terry Gross
Diane Rehm
Al Franken
Randi Rhoades
Thom Hartmann
Rachel Maddow
Steve Earle
Mike Newcomb
Bernie Ward
Mike Webb
Guy James
Laura Flanders
Ray Taliaferro
Niel Rogers
Lynn Cullen
Roxanne Walker

You then anticipate my very real objection:

> I could go on. Now, let me anticipate your next objection. 'Well jeepers
> Gary, these folks don't have anything like the audience or the notoriety of
> the people I had on my list.'

No shit.  We are talking about which philosophy has the most influence
in the media, conservative or liberal, so YES it makes a difference
that the folks on your list don't have anything like the audience or
the notoriety of the people on mine.

I'll spell it out for you:

Big Audience + Notoriety == Big Influence
Small Audience + Obscurity == Small Influence

That's a no-brainer, Gary, and you aren't stupid.  Are you really that
desperate to score a win for the conservatives, that you have to
resort to intellectual dishonesty?  Or are is Pat Kraut rubbing off on
you?