[Vision2020] A "Peace" of Grass---featuring a GI in Iraq

rvrcowboy rvrcowboy at clearwire.net
Wed May 31 16:07:52 PDT 2006

You are welcome Brent.  That reminds me of a funny story that happened to
me.

When I was stationed in Thailand I noticed they grew a lot of watermelons
but they were all very small.  A freind of mine, from Texas, told me his
parents raised melons that went over 50 pounds.  We told some of our Thai
friends about it and they all laughed and called us babababoo (crazy).  He
wrote his folks and they sent us some seeds from their crop.  We planted
them at a friends bungaloo and tended them daily.  The vines grew very
quickly and soon we had buds, then small melons started appearing
everywhere.  We couldn't wait to show our friends these huge melons.

They all grew to about the size of a small soccer ball and quit growing.  We
picked one and it was ripe, bright red and very sweet but it was no bigger
than the Thai melons.

That was how we learned that the growing season and weather conditions had
more to do with the size of the melons than where the seeds originated.  Our
Thai friends all had a great laugh, at our expense.  It was hilarious!

We both learned a lesson that day.  It was one I will never forget.  I can
also tell you, our Thai friends never forgot it either.

Peace be with you,

Dick S.