[Vision2020] Union

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Tue May 30 11:51:16 PDT 2006

Tom,

 I don't think anyone is not supporting the police, with  maybe one exception. So I don't think that is a valid argument. The  argument is how do the people of Moscow benefit, directly, from a  nationally unionized police department? Until somebody is willing and  able to satisfactorily answer that question, I don't see how they will  get unionized.

 The phony baloney liberals in our community  really do not care about what is just, if they did we would not have  city policies in place that allow for discrimination against  homosexuals and would offer the same benefits to same sex couples. This  is something the city can do, but chooses not to, because of bigotry.  It is something that most corporations are now doing, and even UI, a  state of Idaho institution, now doesn't discriminate on the bases of  sexual orientation. Our little liberal pocket, is way behind the  republican controlled state.

 These politicians have no real  interest in the welfare of our police officers, fire volunteers, or  city employees, with the exception of themselves. They are simply   using this as an excuse to get some attention for themselves and  pretend to care about everyone in the community. Their actions say  otherwise.

 Teachers, rescue workers, fire workers, and many  other city employees will never be compensated for the work that they  do, ever, there is not enough money in world.

  Best Regards,

  _DJA

Tom Ivie <the_ivies3 at yahoo.com> wrote:  It  would be interesting to see how many MPD employees leave to work for  Latah County Sheriff.  It is my understanding that the County  actually pays about $3/hr less for starting pay.  That could  indicate that the problem lies somewhere else, ie benefits, management  styles, shifts, etc.  What are the comparisons for family health  insurance?  That could be a huge issue.

  The  police really set the tone for Moscow's atmosphere.  The way they  conduct themselves reflects largely on Moscow.  One of the reasons  we have relatively low crime is because of them.  This is one  amenity I am more than willing to pay for.  Of all the groups  to keep happy, the most important are police, fire,  transportation, and garbage.  We have it easy in  Moscow.  We have a volunteer fire department, private  transportation, and the garbage services are contracted.  So  why not support the police? Plus they can't strike anyway.

Dan Carscallen <areaman at moscow.com> wrote:
  Nick says:
"One of my neighbors is a Moscow City policeman. These guys have been
very discrete and very civil about their reasonable demands. Out of
respect for his delicate position, I've not quizzed him about the
situation. But I can tell you, and especially Dan, one thing: this man
is not bored with his job or with Moscow! He has bought a very
expensive house and his wife stays at home raising two small children."

Nick,

Yes, that guy wants to stay around and enjoys Moscow for what it is.
That's awesome. That's why I still live here. But, many have left, and
I don't think they left because the MPD doesn't have a union. I'm of
the OPINION (keyword right there) that they leave for a chance to   chase
more bad guys somewhere else.

Maybe them leaving for "greener pastures" is not a bad thing, if you
take the time to read through Wayne's post on the subject. I'd much
rather have officers hang around who appreciate Moscow for what it is
rather than someone who is bored with the lack of action.

Maybe the City should be looking harder for applicants who are likely to
stay around longer, rather than being a free training ground for every
other metropolis in the northwest.

DC

List services made available by First Step Internet,
mailto:Vision2020 at moscow.com