[Vision2020] The Auntie Establishment and Brother Carl Show (May 28, 2006)

rvrcowboy rvrcowboy at clearwire.net
Sun May 28 18:18:16 PDT 2006

I find it amusing that I often speak with servicemen who have been stationed
in Iraq and they don't have this perception of the war at all.  One told me
just today that out of his entire battalion they lost 13 men in a year...  I
am sorry I can't remember how many men were in the battalion but the
percentage was quite low.  I am not suggesting that losing any would be
acceptable but, according to him, more people are killed in drug related
incidents in New York City every month than have been killed in Iraq since
the beginning of the war (Americans).  He also said that 8 or 9 of those
killed in Iraq were killed as a result of accidents, mostly roll overs of
vehicles.

I have heard several such stories from soldiers who have returned from Iraq.
I know there are also stories that are not so great but, to be fair, I think
we should listen to both sides.

I know of at least two families who literally hate seeing their sons' name
posted in the lists of those who have died in Iraq because they always seem
to be posted by people who do not understand these men were proud to serve
their country and did it voluntarily.  Now their good names are being used
to make them poster boys for those who protest the war.  Their families
believe this is a shameless act of cowardice on behalf of those who insist
on doing it.

I am not judging, only telling you what I know to be true.  I served in the
military for six and a half years and spent time in SE Asia.  I was proud of
my service to my country despite being spit on and called names upon my
return to the country I had served and by the very people I was fighting
for.  Most of those I served with were proud of their contribution to the
war effort and hated the protestors back home.  Sure, there are always a few
malcontents who whine and bitch about everything, just as in every job
situation, but most of us were not impressed by all the anti-war rhetoric or
by those who used our good names, and the names of fallen compatriots, to
advance their own agendas.

Now I see it happening here in the forum.  Oh sure, as always, those who
post the names regullarly claim to be doing so out of respect for the dead
and their families etc. but I wonder if that is their real motive,
especially given the general political persuasion here in the forum.  Only
those who do these things will ever really know the answer to that but I
suspect if they really search their hearts and are honest with themselves,
they would likely have to admit, at least to themselves, their motives are
less than pure.

These are just some of the thoughts I have when I read certain things
written here.  They are not facts and I see no reason to back up my opinions
with documentation (as some will surely request).  They are just my own
opinions, based on my real life experiences.  No more - no less.

Peace to all,

Dick Sherwin