[Vision2020] V2020 candidate questionnaire

Barrett Schroeder Barrett at hideandfur.com
Thu May 25 16:05:18 PDT 2006

Thanks to Bill London and others for their work on this
questionnaire over the years. Maybe this is the year to
make the questionnaire an actual product of the Vision
2020 list?

In the past the questions have been developed "off list"
as suggested here. During the 2005 City election many
people were referring to this as the "MCA Questionnaire"
and when it was finally revealed who had created it, that
title wasn't far off.  It was only the "Vision 2020 Questionnaire"
because it was organized by Bill London and because First
Step has been willing to post his items on the Vision 2020 web site.

Although anyone may be able to respond to Bill's email and
join the "committee" the practical outcome is that only certain
people participate, not necessarilypeople who are even active
participants on Vision 2020.  Joan Opyr, who is a participant
on the list, posted her own questions, which led to some good
discussions.

I suggest that we make this a real "Vision 2020 Questionnaire"
by moving the process of developing questions into the open
and onto the list, instead of private emails.  Years ago the volume
of messages on Vision 2020 was much lower and it probably
didn't seem practical to have an in depth discussion here. With
the volume of messages today, that clearly is no longer the case.
The process might go smoothly or it might be contentious, like
anything else on the list, but the result will be a true, open and
honest product of Vision 2020.

There would probably still have to be a way to decide on the
final questions, and someone would have to do the legwork of
getting those questions to candidates that aren't on Vision 2020.

Phil Nisbet (whom we all miss) made some comments on this last year:

	"My point is simply that a select group deciding that they are
	going to frame the debate and acting as a filter without election
	to do so from the group as a whole is simply not kosher."

	"Just wondering how it is that without any poll of those of us who
	are subscribed and members of this open forum, any "questionare"
	from V2020 or for that matter a V2020 committee to devise such a
	was come up with."

Phil talks about "election" and a "poll". Perhaps the final choice of
questions, after some discussion, brainstorming and mutual editing,
could be made by a simple email vote.  Each person could select
their 3-5 favorite questions, and the questions with the most votes
would be the final questionnaire. It might be wise to exclude anonymous
votes, to avoid efforts to manipulate this.

I'm sure there are other suggestions on how this could work, and there
is plenty of time before the election.  I think the questionnaire would
benefit from being done in the open and actually representing Vision 2020.

Barrett