[Vision2020] Stout Not Wrong n Union Support / Police UnionStandNot a Conflict

John Dickinson johnd at moscow.com
Tue May 23 01:38:12 PDT 2006

Hi-

I'll give a few things about the unionization of the Moscow police that are
advantages for the community, but I would like to begin with my fundamental
reason for supporting the Moscow police in their request to form a labor
organization - I believe that all workers should have the right to organize.

The benefits include lower turnover of police members. Police department in
our area that are unionized have a turnover rate of about 1%, those without
unions, like ours, have turnover rates around 15%. The savings in officer
training alone will save the city $100,000.

No manager ever thinks that a union will be able to achieve anything that
couldn't be achieved by just talking with management. The truth is that talk
is cheap and that virtually every aspect of work that makes work worthwhile
for the employee has been obtained by a union - wages, vacations, working
hours, insurance, retirement plans, etc. Even workers who are not now
working in a union job have these benefits. I know this might be a stretch,
but it may be that another benefit of the police unionizing would be
improved working conditions for others in the community.

What are the negatives? Unions sometimes strike. In Idaho, organized police
departments are prohibited from striking. So when a union request or demand
is presented to a city council, the council can say "No" and the police
continue to work. So why would they organize? I think there are two benefits
for the police officers - One, once they create a "labor organization' (the
Idaho legal name for an organization the collectively bargains - it need not
be a union, it could be a person hired to speak for them regarding working
conditions) they speak with a single voice to the city. (I need to add
another parenthetical remark here - too many of them, sorry. The Moscow
police officers have submitted several petitions requesting permission to
organize, the latest was submitted a few weeks ago and 100% of the police
officers signed their name to that request.) Two, if there is a dispute
between the police and the city over a request/demand, the matter is turned
over to binding arbitration. In Idaho this is a judge who listens to both
sides of the story and makes a decision. I don't think the city should fear
such a process. Employees cannot expect large increases in benefit packages
because cities are only allowed 3% increases in revenues without a vote of
the community, so demands larger than 3% are difficult for employees to
justify.

A few last little points, some personal and some just about Idaho. The
issues that I hear most often discussed concerning the police and other city
employees are the merit pay evaluation and the health insurance benefit.

Merit pay is a pay for performance system. Every faculty member has a
performance evaluation each year and it is used to determine their pay for
the subsequent year. These systems are full of dangers and I would guess
that most faculty members don't like them. I was a department chair at UI
for 15 years and I evaluated faculty for all those years. I believe the
system works, but only if the administrator in charge is able create an
evaluation that is realistic, fair, and comprehensive. If an administrator
decided to count tickets issued or DUIs convicted or convictions for rolling
stops, then the evaluation ceases to be fair or comprehensive. I support
merit pay and pay for performance.

Who among us is really happy with the health insurance plan we are on? I
suspect only the healthy. Every health insurance plan in this country is
expensive for both the employee and the employer and is less comprehensive
than any sick person would like. I would love to see a solution to this
problem for the Moscow police, for all Moscow city employees, for every
person in Moscow. It is a complex and difficult problem. Any union can't
solve this problem, but perhaps by pointing out the failures with the
current system, we might come to a better solution - one that provides more
coverage to more people at a reduced cost by including more healthy people
in the plan. I don't know how to solve this problem. I suspect it will take
a national solution.

Lastly, Idaho is a right to work state. This means that no one can be forced
to join a union. In practice this means that if the Moscow police decide to
create a labor organization that many members might not join the
organization to save the monthly dues (estimates are that about 25% to 33%
might not join). The major advantage of this is that sometimes unions have
rules that make simple tasks harder - for example, union rules might make it
more difficult to reassign workers to specific shifts. But since we live in
a right to work state, we can move the non-union people around as needed.

My Summary - organizing is a fundamental right of workers and the benefits
outweigh the disadvantages. It is not about the smiles on council members
faces, it is about the rights and well-being of members of the community.

John Dickinson
Moscow City Council