[Vision2020] Re: OK, Chas, here goes.......

Chasuk chasuk at gmail.com
Tue May 23 00:33:51 PDT 2006

On 5/22/06, ToeKneeTime at aol.com <ToeKneeTime at aol.com> wrote:

> In your second paragraph about the joys of democracy, you note that in our
> modern times almost no group remains marginalized.  Yet withholding a
> designation formulated for hetero sexual couples contemplating the raising
> of children, from homosexuals, for whom no such considerations exist, does
> not constitute marginalization.

So, according to you, marriage exists for heterosexual couples
"contemplating the raising of children."  I don't want to put words
into your mouth, but that seems to be the gist of what you are saying.
 If I have misinterpreted, please correct me.  Until such a time, let
me point out that heterosexual couples incapable or having children
are still allowed to marry.  Further, heterosexual couples who are
capable of producing children sometimes choose to remain childless.
Marriage is still their right.

> Chas, the reason I suspect that this push for gay marriage is about cash and
> benefits and not justice, is because I never hear the liberal wing employing
> the same arguments about marginalization in defense of the most marginalized
> faction of our society today:  Unborn citizens, male and female, gay and
> strait.

ToeKneeTime, several people, myself included, have tried to share with
you differing perspectives regarding the unborn, but I don't think
that you are willing to acknowledge that other possibilities exist.
It seems to me that you have decided, a priori, that our position is
untenable, without legitimacy.  This is, for now, an insurmountable
obstacle cutting off a huge portion of potential dialogue.

> Isn't it just possible, Chas, that folks on my side of the argument could be
> sincerely motivated as I have attempted to convey to you?

Yes.  I don't doubt your sincerity, or the sincerity of your
like-minded peers.  Sincerity breeds passion, and passion stirs the
blood so much that it makes it difficult for either side to appreciate
the viewpoint of the other.  If I doubted your sincerity, I would not
have been willing to commit any energy to this dialogue.

 > Let me say in closing that I think homosexual people are every bit
> as deserving of life liberty and the pursuit of happiness as heteros.

I'm glad to read those words.  I'm going to give you a hypothetical
question, then.  I'm not trying to trap you, I am asking you this
question to help me understand you more thoroughly.

You get to choose whether an abortion occurs or not.  The parents
contemplating abortion agree not to terminate, but only on the
condition that the baby is raised by a gay couple.  What do you
decide?

Chas