[Vision2020] Tribune uncovers new Moscow pro-growth group

Steven Basoa sbasoa at moscow.com
Mon May 22 22:12:24 PDT 2006

On May 22, 2006, at 6:53 PM, Jeff Harkins wrote:

1. How has Mr. Busch held us hostage at the gas pumps?

	To the best of my knowledge, Mr. Busch, through his company, has
controlled most of the gasoline that comes into this town.  For many
years gas prices have been consistently higher in Moscow than much of
the surrounding areas.  This is an old, ongoing story that has been
covered several times on vision2020 and, if I remember correctly, in
the daily newspaper.  He has a captive audience here and he has taken
advantage of it.  It's well-played capitalism and I applaud him for
it.  But I don't like it and I try to spend my gas dollars elsewhere
(such as Lewiston or Troy).  At 5 to 10 cents a gallon, this has
added up to decent savings over the years.  I realize that this isn't
good for the last middleman (the local gas pumps) but it is the only
way I can act on my displeasure.   And I will note that the disparity
in prices hasn't been as bad since the price of oil has gone through
the roof everywhere.

2. If we accept your premise that Mr. Comstock, Mr. Busch and Ms.
Mack don't care about infrastructure or Moscow street planning, what
alternatives to Moscow's transportation plan would you have endorsed?

	What does my statement about the former council members have to do
with alternatives I would have endorsed?
Not being an expert by any stretch of the imagination (or a public
figure in public office), I always thought that developers should
help pay for improvements on the roads that they impact.  This would
have gone a long way towards improving Mountainview Road.  (This
isn't hindsight, I remember whining about it when the Moser second
addition was going in).  It would have also helped pay for
improvements on Joseph Street and the safety problems at the
'bridge'.  Another road that I think is vital is a north-south bypass
on the west side of town.  And I think we needed it 20 years ago.  I
am not sure how I feel about the 'proposed' ring road.  I do not know
enough about it to have formed a decision.   While I'm rambling on
about transportation issues, I think the Moscow bus system is a great
idea and we need to figure out how to sustain it.  I also like the
idea of resurrecting the train service between Moscow and Pullman.

3. How have Ms. Bennett and Mr. Morscheck forced buyers and sellers
of real estate to engage in a buy/sell arrangement?

	Re-read my post.  I never said that they "forced buyers and sellers"
to do anything.  I merely pointed out that they are realtors and
that's how they earn their living.  They have a vested interest in
the rapid growth of Moscow.

4. How do you know that "their pocketbooks are all that matter" to them?

	You are correct, this is a sweeping assertion.  I'm sure there are
many other things, important things, that matter to them.  At least I
hope so...

5. If these individuals are responsible for "subdivisions", how do
you explain the fact that residents of Moscow live in those divisions?

	This question doesn't make sense to me.  What does the first part of
this question ("If these individuals are responsible for
"subdivisions" ") have to do with the second part ("how do you
explain the fact that residents of Moscow live in those divisions?)?
And what does your question have to do with anything I wrote?
As for subdivisions, residents of Moscow live there because that's
where the housing is.  I get the impression that you think I am
opposed to subdivisions.  I am not.  I recognize the need for them.
I just think prior and proper planning is a must.  I think the city
needs to take control of the growth and dictate the terms to the
developers and not the other way around.  Will I always be agreeable
with the decisions made?  Probably not.

6. If the subdivisions did not exist, where would those folks live?

	You missed my point on the subdivisions.  It is obvious to me that
we  need subdivisions.  My point is that the subdivisions were/are
poorly planned.   My statement was: "myriad sub-divisions with no
intelligent street planning".  When the building boom started east of
Mountain View about 20 years ago, it was obvious to many in the
construction/real estate business and city management that
development would continue in this area.  No planning was done for
the increased traffic and it's related problems.  The city showed no
foresight or vision here.  With the massive Salisbury addition coming
to fruition. I think that the traffic issues are going to get a lot
worse before they get better.  For more on the transportation issue
you could read Kit Craine's vision2020 post from earlier today.

 >You make a lot of sweeping assertions.  I am just trying to
understand your basis for those assertions.
 > Enlighten us please!

I hope this helps clarify my basis for all my sweeping assertions.
If not, I'm sure you'll let me know.

-SB