[Vision2020] Tribune uncovers new Moscow pro-growth group

Mark Solomon msolomon at moscow.com
Mon May 22 07:52:25 PDT 2006

I'll let the lack of position statements on GMA's
website slide as an organizational growing pain
issue, but I believe it is obvious from the
testimony on the Thomson rezone where GMA stands
on that issue as 2/3 of the board members spoke
in favor of the rezone at either the p&z or
council hearings.
Stephen Busch, Chairperson
Jim Anderson, Vice-Chairperson
Jim DeMeerleer, Treasurer
Shelley Bennett, Co-Secretary
Dan Carscallen
Marshall Comstock
Bob Hieronymus
JoAnn Mack
Bill Morscheck
Brian Thie
Jerry Weitz
Susan Wilson, Co-Secretary

In a community as small as Moscow, it is
inevitable that there will be conflicts of
interest when organizations engage in advocacy.
As such it is very important to understand how
personal motives, especially economic motives,
may relate to an organization's positions.

One example: The Thompson Rezone is listed as an
Issue of Interest by GMA. What is not listed is
Shelley Bennett, GMA Co-Secretary, is reported to
be in line for a $400,000 realtor commission if
the development is approved. JoAnn Mack's family
owns the property adjacent to the Thompson's.
Susan Wilson "continues to be involved in the
real estate industry while beginning her law
practice. Her husband of 4 years, Sean Wilson, is
an Associate Broker with Bennett & Associates
Real Estate in Moscow."

Mark Solomon