[Vision2020] The English Language Debate

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Sun May 21 08:52:47 PDT 2006

>From Bob Schieffer's commentary on today's (May 21, 2006) "Face the Nation"
-

The English Language Debate
By Bob Schieffer

It's official! The Senate voted to make English the national language of the
United States.

Do you feel a lot better knowing that? Or were you like me and thought
English was our national language?

Sort of like we know the Washington Monument honors George Washington even
though it doesn't have a sign on it that says Official Monument to George
Washington. Even I figured that one out.

Of course new citizens should speak English but why would the Senate spend
hours debating whether to make English our national language?

Let me break it to you gently: because it gives Senators something to do
while they avoid addressing the real problems -- the war, health care, the
ballooning deficit and immigration, for that matter.

Working on real problems that have to do with national security and the
country's fiscal well-being take determination, political courage and the
ability to compromise -- all of which have become the missing ingredients of
modern politics.

So we'll hear more about silly issues between now and election day and come
to think if it...

Maybe we should make the Washington Monument the national monument to our
first president, otherwise people might think it honors the Washington
Airport.

And if Senators designate Grants Tomb the official tomb of General Grant,
maybe that old joke about who is buried there would go away.

And while they're at it, maybe senators could declare the U.S. Capitol to be
the national monument to wasting time and avoiding responsibility.

Actually, I doubt any of us needs to be reminded of that.

Seeya round town, Moscow.

t hansen-moore

"In America, anybody can become president.
That's one of the risks you take . . ."

- Adlai Stevenson