[Vision2020] More Vandal stuff (so I'm shallow)

Carl Westberg carlwestberg846 at hotmail.com
Fri May 19 07:54:59 PDT 2006

Erickson thinks long term

By MATT BANEY OF THE TRIBUNE

MOSCOW -- Dennis Erickson has a vision of what the Idaho football program
will look like a decade from now. And that plan includes him patrolling the
sidelines.

"I'm looking to coach as long as I can be healthy," the 59-year-old Erickson
said this week. "I have a goal of coaching 10 more years here -- that would
be my goal. Hopefully I can. Maybe I can be Bobby Bowden or Joe Paterno."

Erickson's primary task is to end the Vandals' string of six losing seasons.
But he also intends to help the school improve its facilities. UI is now
formulating plans to expand the 16,000-seat Kibbie Dome and build a separate
basketball arena.

Erickson is familiar with this process. During his time at Oregon State
(1999-2002), he helped rally support for an $80 million makeover of Reser
Stadium. (When he was out of coaching last season, Erickson attended OSU's
first game at the refurbished stadium.)

That project might not have happened had Erickson's Beavers, longtime
laughingstocks of the Pac-10, not gone 11-1 and beaten Notre Dame in the
Fiesta Bowl in 2000.

So do the Vandals have to win before they can raise the money to expand the
Dome?

"Do you get the facilities so you can win or do you win and then get the
facilities?" Erickson said. "To me, it's kind of a combination of both.

"I also think there's a message out there for Vandals all over," he added.
"In order for us to be where we need to be, we can't just wave a magic wand
and make it happen. We'll need to get some things done."

Since his surprising return to Idaho in February, Erickson has often
mentioned that his task is totally different compared to the situation he
faced in 1982 when he first took over the Vandals.

Back then, the Kibbie Dome was perhaps the best stadium in the Big Sky. Now
it suffers by comparison to other WAC venues.

"So that challenge (in '82) wasn't near as big a challenge as it is now,
going into the WAC," Erickson said. "We're not just building a football
program, but building facilities."

As for the team, Erickson and his coaches are taking to the road this month
to evaluate high schoolers who will be seniors next year. Erickson spent
time in southern Idaho this week, and plans a trip to the northern part of
the state next week.

Erickson is also encouraging his current players to stick around Moscow over
the summer, to work out and take extra classes. The coaches are also staying
on task; they've already started watching film of their first four
opponents. (Idaho opens the season Sept. 2 at Michigan State.)

So what does Erickson expect of his first season?

"Wins and losses, I don't know if you can (predict) that right now," he
said. "I certainly believe we'll be competitive in every game that we play.
And we'll win some games people won't think we will.

"The biggest thing, our players just have to see improvement in themselves.
At this point in a program like this, that's what you've got to do."

Erickson is also busy now looking for a house in Moscow. Since taking the
job, he's been living in a hotel room.

When he eventually retires, Erickson said he'll probably move to his cabin
on Lake Coeur d'Alene.

But first he has a football program to rebuild.

"This is just a 10-year stop, at least, before I'm going to retire," he
said. "I just happened to come up the same road. I just pulled over and
said, 'Well, I might as well coach.' "

------

Baney may be contacted at mbaney at lmtribune.com

Carl Westberg Jr.