[Vision2020] Re: My personal views on religion, as requested by Mike...

ToeKneeTime at aol.com ToeKneeTime at aol.com
Thu May 18 10:22:25 PDT 2006

Joe -n- Mike,

A Christian?  Good question, guys.  At this point in my life, I  don't know
exactly how I would define my beliefs.  I am inclined to think  that there is
some overarching intelligence out there somewhere.  The  universe is too large
and too complex on a macro cosmic as well as micro cosmic  scale to not be
guided somehow by something.  I don't have any way of  knowing which religion has
the most accurate take on the nature of "God".   Probably none of us are even
close and unfortunately, will never be able to  answer that question.  I
identified as a Christian some years back, but I  have the same concerns with
regard to some of the seemingly uncivilized  teachings in the Old Testament.  Is
the Bible the intact, unaltered word of  God?  How the Hell can we know?
Sounds a little convenient to  me.  Maybe old King James had his own moral and
political agenda at work  when he translated those old texts...

None of us, I believe, can KNOW that there is a God any more than we can
KNOW there is no God.  We can only be INCLINED TO BELIEVE.  From this
standpoint, the atheist is every bit as devout as the Christian.  One  believes very
firmly in NOTHING, while the other believes very firmly in  SOMETHING.

Now I have to get to work.  Tear it apart boys.

--Tony