[Vision2020] Josh Ritter on NPR

Joan Opyr joanopyr at moscow.com
Thu May 11 07:53:26 PDT 2006

On May 11, 2006, at 7:22 AM, Carl Westberg wrote:

> Congratulations to Moscow's own Josh Ritter, who was featured on a
> lengthy segment during NPR's Morning Edition today.  Complete with
> favorable comparisons to the young Bruce Springsteen, not to mention
> the young Bob Dylan.  He just put out his third CD, and just bought a
> house in his hometown.  Give it a listen on the NPR website if you get
> a chance.  Carl Westberg Jr.

Indeed!  It was a great segment.  I love Josh Ritter's music, and it's
certainly nice to see Moscow getting some really good publicity.

BTW, I got an email a week or so ago from my friend Washboard Dave who
hosts the Bull City Cosmic Hoedown on the radio in Durham, NC.  Dave
and I are old, old friends, and I thought he was emailing to say he'd
gotten the copy of the book I'd sent him.  But was he?  Oh, no!  He
couldn't believe I lived in the same town as Josh Ritter!  Did I know
him?  Could I get his autograph?  Please, would Josh sign a CD, or two,
or three?  He's thinking about flying out here with his girlfriend to
catch Josh in a live performance.  I've lived here for 12 years, and
Dave has never even talked about a visit.  Sheesh.

Josh Ritter is a wonderful musician: an amazing talent.  I was sorry to
have to admit to Dave that I don't actually know him.  Dave doesn't
believe me.  He thinks we must all know each other in a town of only
21,000, and so he's accused me of 1) being a hermit, or 2) lying to
keep Josh Ritter all to myself.  (He thinks it's a competitive DJ
thing.)  So, who out there does know Josh Ritter?  And how do I go
about getting his autograph for my friend?  I'd love to surprise Dave
with a full set of signed CDs and a big old note saying, "Ha, ha, so
there!"

Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment
www.joanopyr.com