[Vision2020] RE: Half of teachers quit

Jerry Weitz gweitz at moscow.com
Wed May 10 22:22:55 PDT 2006

Here's a maybe a part of the solution to help teacher retention.   Dr.Linda
Darling Hammond of Stanford University worked on helping retention rates
for some time.   What worked was modeling educational practices that
professions or even the trades (apprenticeships) have done.  That is having
the  students of education become involved with students very early during
their training under careful supervision by an experienced
professional.  Think of it this way. When say a  surgeon is trained two
things occur:  The didactic followed by practice (patient contact). If an
ed. student is not inclined/interested/talented in the pursuit, then the
student can simply change directions or pursue something else--- all very
early, rather than find out during the first part of their careers.

MSD-UI College of Education talked about this concept when I was on the
Board.  I thought that if this were to occur, the "magic"of a medical
school format would benefit the recipients --the k-12 students and the
education students. The master teachers would then become the chiefs or
attending. Grand rounds for challenging students (treatment dilemmas),
etc.  Of course, pay and working environment (where the professional is in
control) would have to change.   jerry