[Vision2020] Council Must Reject Rezone

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Wed May 10 14:07:53 PDT 2006

"When I go shopping with my kid I
tend not to stop at 3 or 4 different places if everything I need and want
is at one place."

Joe, I disagree with the premise that a Super Wal-mArt has everything
anyone need or want. It doesn't even sell home furnishings or used video games.
Some people actually like clothes that fit well.

My objection to disallowing a Wal-Mart, is that it limits
free enterprise and consumer choice which has always been
the backbone to innovation, advances in technology, and a stronger,
healthier economy.

Take Care,

_DJA

joekc at adelphia.net wrote:  Apologies to Nils but I wanted to partake in the endless rant one more time!

I  am not against either WinCo or the existing Wal-mart and for the reason  you note. They save money and it is plausible that people will spend  that saved money elsewhere. With a Super Wal-Mart, things are very  different. Why go anywhere else?

There is nothing  "condescending" about this observation either. It is based on my own  personal experience. When I go shopping with my kid I tend not to stop  at 3 or 4 different places if everything I need and want is at one  place.

Nor should we talk about disposable income in the  abstract, as you suggest. In the abstract, asprin is good but if you  take a whole bottle of it, it will kill you. I feel the same way about  low-cost and convenience. Both are good in the abstract but too much of  both -- in the form of a single Super WalMart -- will kill the local  economy.

Lastly, I don't know what planet you are from but on my  planet philosophy professors do not make a lot of money! I have shopped  at WalMart, I continue to shop at WinCo, and I don't blame anyone for  shopping at either.

--
Joe Campbell

---- deaconjames at verizon.net wrote:

Yes, I often consider myself Reagan. Why?

You  say, "There is no reason to think that the 'savings' will eventually  trickle down to us." Are you expecting a check to show up in your  mailbox? When you say this, you sound a lot like you are saying, "I'm  looking out for me and mine; screw those poor people who don't have a  professor's salary."

Let's think about this in the abstract,  completely aside from WalMart. Is increased disposable income a) good  for the local economy, b) bad for the local economy, or c) doesn't have  any effect on the local economy? If a), then we can discuss whether or  not WalMart would increase disposable income. If b) or c), then we can  discuss the merits of your thinking on this point.

And by the  way, my wife shops for us at Walmart and Winco, and the money that we  save shopping there allows us to spend money at other stores around  town that we otherwise wouldn't be able to. You sound so condescending  when you say, "Why not suppose that they will just spend the increased  income at Walmart, where they are going to shop anyway."

People  who shop at Walmart are humans, Joe, not mindless, Walmart-adoring  drones. They are trying to save some money; that's all.

Take care,

Deacon