[Vision2020] RE: Half of teachers quit

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Tue May 9 15:14:39 PDT 2006

Perhaps, Mat, they live in a town that has a large group of people who, for
reasons they claim are found in their religious beliefs, treat them like
emissaries of Satan himself and who pray for the destruction of public
schools.

Or maybe it's because neo-conservatives and libertarians who are experts in
running shoe stores and pencil factories believe that the same market-based
philosophies can and should be applied to public schools, whose "product" is
vastly more complex than running shoes and soft-lead pencils, but which
lacks serious representation in the halls of power.

Perhaps it's that many "liberals" have abandoned public schools and the
public good in favor of idyllic and isolated lives that neglect the children
and families they once swore, over cheap beer and chips, that they'd fight
for.

And it may have something to do with the method of parenting, or lack
thereof, that these children receive at home, which turns them over to the
crudest elements of society via media and electronics and then produces
combative or uninterested parents who can't believe and don't care that
anything's wrong with their child.

Finally, it may have to do with the obscene way we fund public schools,
which virtually screams its disregard for children from kindergarten through
college and cheers mightily at a bloated war budget, tax cuts for the
wealthy, and a runaway economy that leaves those most dependent on education
the least likely to receive a good one.

Whatever the answer, Mat, it can be traced back to one thing:  a lack of
clear, solid, committed, generous and vocal support for public schools, from
the crankiest lone voter all the way to the halls of the White House, and
this, I believe, is the single biggest issue facing our nation.

keely