[Vision2020] Half of new teachers quit

Donatelo Juan donboy22 at hotmail.com
Tue May 9 14:49:07 PDT 2006

Hi Visionaries,

I thought I would introduce a new topic.   Please read this article on MSN:

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=2628&ncid=2628&e=27&u=/nm/20060509/us_nm/life_teachers_dc_2

I really do understand why most teachers leave teaching.  My question are
simple.  Why are the salaries so low for beginning teachers?

"The kids were wonderful to be with, but the stress of everything that went
with it and the low pay did not make it hard to leave,"

Why are most of the teachers in their mid 40, white and religious?

"The study, which the association released last week ahead of its annual
salute to teachers on Tuesday, also found today's average teacher is a
married, 43-year-old white woman who is religious"

Why are there not more men?
Can a new teacher support a family with an entry teaching salary?
These 43 year old teachers, Are they second income families, single income
families, single parent families supported additionally with child support
payments?

Just some questions.
Mat