[Vision2020] In English Only?

Donatelo Juan donboy22 at hotmail.com
Sun May 7 17:49:50 PDT 2006

Hi Visionaries,

I will take plunge into the pool of debate.  In the country where I live,
English is a required subject.  I am not saying that these kids speak well,
but they can speak it a little.  In fact they must pass national exams in
two languages, primary language of Spanish, and a secondary language of
French or English, if they want their high school diploma.  Those student,
who are on the ball, study English intensively because many of the best jobs
require this language.  English, not USA English, is the language of
business, science and diplomacy.  These students are preparing to do
business in a global market.

In the USA there is a strange debate, English only?  Ladies and Gentlemen
you need to demand that a minimum level of English, written and spoken, is
exacted from the public institutions.  In addition you should be demanding
proficiency in a second or third language.  Hey here is an idea, find
qualified LEGAL immigrants to be educators of their native language, and
allow them to enter the USA legally for this purpose.  Latin and Greek are
fine, but they are not going to help with Slavic, Arabic, Farsi, Mandarin,
or Japanese.

Mat