[Vision2020] Death Penalty Must Be Abolised

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Thu May 4 16:03:32 PDT 2006

How kind of you, Dick, to not judge women and men on their views regarding
abortion.  I only wish you would extend that kind of charity to women who
have had abortions, very few of whom did so simply as a remedy for
promiscuous behavior or a cure-all for being, as you say, "stupid" in their
behavior.

This may come as an utter shock to you, but did you know that many women who
seek abortion are not "in the game" -- your words again, meant to describe
why you shouldn't help them out -- when it comes to deciding when to have
sex and whether or not to use contraceptives?  Poor women very often lack
the kind of autonomy that many of us are blessed with, and I doubt seriously
that in your marriage you've ever been forced to have sex or prevented from
using a condom if you desired.  But I know many, many women who have no say
in sex or in contraception; their men make the decisions.  Are these women
promiscuous, stupid, or simply unlucky?  And did you know that some women
who want an abortion have been raped, which is the ultimate means of being
"out of the game" when it comes to autonomy and control?  Was it promiscuity
that got them in that situation?  Stupidity?

Women all over the world await your response, offered, I'm sure,
non-judgmentally.  I wish that, since you and I both believe that unborn
life is worthy of protection, we could also agree that already-born women
are worthy of mercy and grace as well.  Because for every female fetus
that's aborted, there's a real-life, grown-up, adult woman who's hurting
like hell.

And no, I've never had an abortion, as someone asked me off-list.  It's
actually none of anyone's business, but I want to make sure that no one
assigns my argument to the "well, no wonder . . . " file, where so many
arguments from women seem to land . . .

keely