[Vision2020] The immigration debate

Chasuk chasuk at gmail.com
Wed May 3 13:41:29 PDT 2006

On 5/3/06, Scott Dredge <sdredge at yahoo.com> wrote:

> A specific problem statement or two would go a long way in helping with this
> debate.  So far I've seen a lot of statements like "no doubt there is a
> problem" and "the problem is getting bigger and bigger".  Can we restart the
> debate with the top 2 or 3 biggest perceived specific problems with illegal
> immigration and take it from there?

This seems sensible.  However, instead of addressing the problems,
I'll address the benefits.  Others can address the problems.

1.  My produce is cheaper, and so is yours.  I love fruit and
vegetables, but I can barely afford to eat them in healthy quantities,
 even with illegal immigrants performing much of the labor.

2.  Women and children in Bolivia, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala,
Honduras, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, etc., are fed and
clothed.  This is equitable redistribution of wealth without the
bellyaching or red tape.  I am not a Christian, but I still care that
others live in starvation and poverty.  A little boy or girl living in
Honduras or Peru is just as important to me as a little boy or girl
living in Boston or Memphis.

3.  Salma Hayek and Antonio Banderas are hot.  We need more Hispanics
contributing to the gene pool.