[Vision2020] The immigration debate

Scott Dredge sdredge at yahoo.com
Wed May 3 11:07:38 PDT 2006

A specific problem statement or two would go a long way in helping with this debate.  So far I've seen a lot of statements like "no doubt there is a problem" and "the problem is getting bigger and bigger".  Can we restart the debate with the top 2 or 3 biggest perceived specific problems with illegal immigration and take it from there?

-Scott

Carl Westberg <carlwestberg846 at hotmail.com> wrote: I just listened to a thoughtful commentary on the immigration issue, where
the commentator echoed my concern about this escalating problem.  (Note:  it
was on NPR and I am a liberal, or "lib", or whatever).  While I'm sure the
vast majority of those vehemently opposed to the presence of illegal
immigrants are not motivated by racism, there is most certainly a sizable
percentage who are fueled by xenophia.  I just found out that there's an
internet video game where you can shoot Mexicans as they cross the border,
complete with spraying blood and everything.  Cute.  Would there be the huge
national outcry, I have to wonder, if our southern border was occupied by
Norway and we were talking about illegal Norwegian immigrants?  I am myself
torn about the issue, incidentally.  No doubt there is a problem.   Carl
Westberg Jr.