[Vision2020] Vitality of downtown

Kai Eiselein, LatahEagle Editor editor at lataheagle.com
Mon May 1 11:14:59 PDT 2006

In order for most businesses to survive, they must provide better service or
products than thier competitors. When they don't have competition, they
start to take their customers for granted and grow lax in their dealings.
CASE IN POINT:

I was in a downtown business twice last week. After spending about 15
minutes looking for an item, I found it and went to the register to pay. I
waited....and waited, even as employees walked past, busy chatting with each
other. Finally one looked at me and said "You need something?" I paid for
the item and left.
A couple of days later, I was in the same shop, looking for another item. I
stood in front of a rack, perusing the items, while trying to figure out
which one I needed.
I stood there trying to get the attention of one of the employees, but they
were too busy discussing their weekend plans.
I went home, got online, got live help on a website and ordered the item I
needed.
I gave that store two chances, now they've lost a customer, unless I really,
really need an item right away.
Why should I spend my hard earned money at a local place that ignores me,
when I can get immediate fast, friendly, help from an online source?

Kai Eiselein
Editor
Latah Eagle
521 S. Jackson