[Vision2020] Ed's Avoidance, and Carl's Wisdom

Chasuk chasuk at gmail.com
Mon May 1 10:26:34 PDT 2006

You don't have to be observant to notice the not-so-skillful way that
Ed avoided the second half of my recent posting.  I wrote:

"I'm proud for having two feet, Ed.  I'm especially proud that I have
one left foot and one right foot.  Think of all of the work that I did
as a busy little fetus ensuring my proper footedness.  So I understand
why you would defend your white heritage.  It has nothing to do with
racism, and everything to do with all of that prenatal energy you
expended in working on your whiteness."

Ed focused instead on defending his lesbian caricature, and ignored
the above paragraph entirely.

Then Carl Westberg wrote these wise words:

I'm Swedish by heritage, and when my extended family gets together,
Ed, we do indeed celebrate our Swedish heritage with the food we eat,
stories of our ancestors from "the old country", etcetera.  But we're
not celebrating being "White".  To celebrate being "White" seems a
little creepy.

Thank you, Carl.  I think that we should be magnanimous today.  Let's
allow Ed a little backpedaling.  Maybe he means something by "White"
that we are not comprehending.  I'll ask him:

Ed, do you use the word "white" with some sophisticated sociological
or anthropological subtlety that has flown over our heads?  Here is
your chance to red-define "white heritage" for us.  Maybe you can
re-define the apparent racism out of existence.  Use all of the
qualifications, equivocations and rationalizations that you wish.  We
are pretty skilled at recognizing those subterfuges when we see them,
so we won't
subtract too many points, except for extremely blatant overuse.

It's your podium, Ed.  Explicate and elucidate.  Educate us as to the
true, deeper meanings of the words "white heritage."