[Vision2020] Atwood Letter Rewritten

g. crabtree jampot at adelphia.net
Thu Mar 30 21:33:06 PST 2006

Ms. Lund, I'm not sure what the asterisks on either side of *you* implies
but I would have been happy to have made your acquaintance. Perhaps next
time. Look for a middle aged, blue collar Neanderthal who sits close to the
door in case a hasty exit is required. (crowds make me a bit edgy)

>From the top. Yes you are right. I was making broad generalizations in my
communication with Ms.Woolf however, the anti-NSA spokesman brought up no
other criterion for exclusion.  I did hear the Husky/Lund party line as put
forth by Rose and dismissed the tax issues for the same reason that the BOA
did. NSA is tax exempt no matter where they go. Downtown, Third St,
Washington, Jackson,  Sixth, or Highland Dr. all the same, all tax exempt.
If you would like to make a less discriminatory argument for revoking tax
exemptions for all schools and churches have at it. Till then it's a dead
issue. That leaves the "dangerous precedent" argument. (also brought up by
one individual only) You're right, sorry, I did somehow manage to overlook
that subtle point. Zoning allows for educational institutions downtown with
a CUP. I'll worry about BSU hogging up Main St. with a satellite campus when
the danger is a trifle more immanent. I must admit I was shocked to hear Ms.
Husky's seemingly contradictory turn about of opinion with regard to the
school and it's students. I suspect that it was more of a rhetorical device
than any kind of sincere change of heart.

As to the parking, forgive me if I do this from memory. I don't have the
stats or the meeting minutes available. My understanding is that with the
collage at its current enrollment, it is using parking at the same level as
any other commercial use. That is why the board briefly discussed having the
school acquire additional off-site parking before any additional expansion
may occur. I believe that it was determined that this was impractical and
discriminatory. When Moscow Florist & Gifts downsized and the coffee shop
went in, it  increased the use of available parking and yet they were not
forced to provide additional spaces to the general parking pool. I think
that if any facts are being twisted its to conflate current parking lot use
with the use at NSA's theoretical maximum and then point to it as some sort
of awful reason for other businesses having a tough time making a go of it.
If you want to solve the parking problem for good and all, and not just
throw up road blocks for NSA, I would think you would be exploring the
option for a return of parking meters or making the Jackson St. lot permit
only. Or float a LID for additional parking improvements. Tax exempt
organizations are not exempt from them. As I have said before, this really
isn't about parking (much less the slippery slope of educational orgs.)
Respectfully, I think that you and your fellow travelers in the anti-CC gang
must think that the bulk of the community and I just blew in from hay seed
heaven if you think we are going to believe it.

G. Crabtree