[Vision2020] Atwood Letter Rewritten

Michael metzler at moscow.com
Thu Mar 30 18:51:14 PST 2006

Crabtree,

Hello again. I'm writing to address your criticism of J Ford (copied below);
I wish to primarily defend her, and only secondarily address what appear to
be misconceptions on your part. This letter, as I believe you know, was a
play on Atwood's original letter; but Atwood's original letter was directed
at what J Ford would probably consider 'innocent' parties, or at least not
worthy of the sort of letter they received. And so, the play on words here
does not assume that this letter would be fully true if it was in fact
literally intended; it is centrally, as I take it, 'how does it feel back at
you.'  In this respect, if you didn't favor the original letter then you
would have the freedom to enjoy this playful satire regardless of what the
city comes up with on parking statistics and regardless of whether or not
NSA could justly and wisely be kicked off the block anytime soon. Whether or
not NSA is stinkfully arrogant about any response to their code violation
will not be decided on the basis of parking statistics; so it seems you may
have missed the point of this posting series.

But even taken literally, the letter focuses just on the parking issue,
which you grant was the central focus of concern.  The fact that the concern
was so focused suggests that this is not necessarily some conspiracy, but
rather a couple business owners who claim to be losing hundreds of thousands
of dollars do to the parking issue-as I understand it anyway.

Michael Metzler

Ms.Woolf, It was a pleasure to meet you at the  meeting Tuesday night. As
one of the most vocal (at least on this forum) detractors of NSA, I was very
surprised that you didn't take the opportunity to educate the BOA as to the
evils of the NSA. You complain that the board doesn't listen to the people
and yet you gave them nothing to hear. The overwhelming majority of the
testimony that they did hear was in favor of the collage remaining right
where they are. The few detractors that did speak could only muster the
parking issue as the  reason for a denial. An issue that has been shown to
be a false since the school uses no more parking than any other potential
user of that property. This is not just my biased contention, but the result
of statistics provided by the city staff. What outcome did you expect the
board to produce with that kind of input? I've got to assume that if a
better argument could have been concocted, it would have been brought
forward. It wasn't.

With regard to the whimsical letter that you thoughtfully reproduce for us
here on the V. I would find it far more persuasive, informative, and
entertaining if it had some actual signatures attached, and would be happier
if, as a downtown merchant mine, by implication, wasn't.