[Vision2020] Wal-Mart to Hire up to 150,000

Art Deco deco at moscow.com
Wed Mar 29 09:21:07 PST 2006

Gary asks:

"Art, is there any chance that you would be willing to provide a list of the "compitition" [sic][sic] that Wal-Mart "drove out?"[sic][sic]

Here's a start:

J. C. Penny
Sears
K-Mart

University Drug & Gift
Husky/Gun Shop
Army Surplus

This is not a claim that the advent of the current WalMart was the sole cause of the above businesses going out, but it certainly was a factor as WalMart competed head-on with much lower prices on some or many of the items sold by all six businesses.  Most likely the advent of WalMart reduced the net income of the above businesses enough to make then not viable in the eyes of the owner or corporate management.

In the case of the first three, Lewiston/Clarkston with its larger marketing area continues to support all three in addition to a WalMart about the same size as the current Moscow WalMart, although there are questions as to how long all of the three will stay in Lewiston.

In the case of the last three small local businesses, the owners were unable to sell their businesses even though some gave "retirement" as their reason for going out.  I assume that a rational business owner having spent years building asset value in a business would try to redeem as much of that as possible.  Selling a viable business is generally the most effective means of maximizes the asset return.  Going out of business is not.

Art Deco (Wayne A. Fox)
deco at moscow.com