[Vision2020] Effective v. ineffective idealism

Joan Opyr joanopyr at moscow.com
Tue Mar 28 23:06:08 PST 2006

On Mar 28, 2006, at 8:25 PM, Jack Porter wrote:

> I resent the tone of moral superiority affected by Joan and Keely
> regarding the alternative high school.  "Throw-away kids" is not a
> term, or a concept, used by anyone I know.  Those of us who have
> advocated running a bond levy to rebuild West Park and Russell without
> the alternative high school thought that plan would get more votes,
> and it's too bad the school district didn't include that option on the
> survey so we could find out.
>
> Keely thinks that tactic would be "viciously pragmatic," but I ask, is
> it more harmful to kids to pass a levy that solves some problems, or
> to fail one levy after another and solve none?
>
> The list of desirable improvements in the schools is far too long for
> voters to be willing to fund them all right now.  So should we
> prioritize and try to eke out a 2/3 majority for something, or refuse
> to support any proposal that doesn't include someone's favorite
> project?
>
> Jack Porter

As much as I don't want to play tit-for-tat with you, Jack, I don't
care if you resent my tone or not.  Have at it!  Resent away!  I
certainly don't think that I'm morally superior to you -- you have the
right to voice your opinion.  I don't happen to like your opinion, just
as I don't like the way you have, in the past, spoken about the
alternative high school or its students as if they were disposable.
Yes, I recognize that the words "disposable" and "throw-away" are not
words that you have used.  I also don't claim that they accurately
describe the way you feel about the alternative high school or its
students.  However, I will stand by the assertion that that is the
impression I've gotten when you have spoken publicly about your favored
bond levy.

Moscow's school facilities are in dire straits; perhaps we can agree on
that.  Where we will disagree is in my belief that under the present
circumstances, there is no levy of any kind that would pass Moscow with
a 2/3 majority.  I won't vote for a levy that pours money into
expensive renovations for Russell and West Park while ignoring (even if
only for the time being) the pressing needs of the high school and the
alternative high school.  Others won't vote for a levy that includes
anything other than Russell and West Park.  Another, sizable body (led
by Jack Wenders and Dale Courtney) won't vote for money for public
schools, period, and they will resort to their usual deceptive and
nasty tactics to ensure any bond's defeat.

Effective versus ineffective idealism?  My Aunt Fanny.  We either pony
up for the schools or we sit back and watch them disintegrate.  Here's
my sad prediction: we will wait until Russell and West Park are beyond
repair (perhaps that day has already come for Russell); we'll wait
until the high school is falling down around our ears; we'll leave the
alternative school and its students in terrible limbo.  Then, one day
in the not too distant future, we will gaze upon the ruins of what was
once a fine school district and wonder, "What the hell happened?"

Neighborhood schools are a good idea; I'm in favor of neighborhood
schools.  But I think it's possible to let our vision of the glories of
Russell Elementary blind us to the equally pressing needs of McDonald,
Lena Whitmore, the high school, the junior high, and the alternative
school.  I have absolutely no faith in the idea that once Russell and
West Park have been renovated, the same people who fought for that bond
will leap forward to support a second or a third or a fourth bond to
fix the other schools in the district.  Call me a cynic, but I don't
think it's wise for the entire district to rely on the un-bonded
promise of future altruism.  Either we give a damn about all of our
students, or we don't give a damn about any.  Looks like we'll be
voting for the latter.

Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment
www.joanopyr.com

PS: With me, it's all or nothing/Is it all or nothing with you?/It
cain't be in between/It cain't be now and then/No half and half romance
will do . . .