[Vision2020] Effective v. ineffective idealism

Jack Porter jporter at moscow.com
Tue Mar 28 20:25:20 PST 2006

I resent the tone of moral superiority affected by Joan and Keely regarding
the alternative high school.  "Throw-away kids" is not a term, or a
concept, used by anyone I know.  Those of us who have advocated running a
bond levy to rebuild West Park and Russell without the alternative high
school thought that plan would get more votes, and it's too bad the school
district didn't include that option on the survey so we could find out.

Keely thinks that tactic would be "viciously pragmatic," but I ask, is it
more harmful to kids to pass a levy that solves some problems, or to fail
one levy after another and solve none?

The list of desirable improvements in the schools is far too long for
voters to be willing to fund them all right now.  So should we prioritize
and try to eke out a 2/3 majority for something, or refuse to support any
proposal that doesn't include someone's favorite project?

Jack Porter