[Vision2020] school facilities discussion

Area Man areaman at moscow.com
Tue Mar 28 11:50:05 PST 2006

Maybe I've missed it in all the posts about elections and super
wal-marts and various other topics, but I haven't seen much discussion
on the Vizzz regarding school facilities (this time around).

I'll get the ball rolling (love it or hate it) --

Sell off West Park and Russell, build a new elementary school at the
Joseph Street property, send those kids there.

Some things that *might* happen in this process:
- the U of I purchases the West Park property
- *someone* buys the Russell property and builds the high-rise condos
that some citizens told the New Cities people we wanted, maybe even
using the old school for part of that.
- that makes some money for the SD to build the new school with (not all
of it, of course).

Issues?
- Kids that walk to Russell will have to hoof it to McDonald or Lena, or
take a bus (not really a problem with West Park, since I think most all
the kids ride buses there already).
- all the schools even farther over on the east side of Moscow.  It
would be nice to have one at each corner of town, but I don't see that
happening.

This still doesn't fix the problems with the High School, but that's for
another time.  Baby steps . . .

As Tom Hansen would say, "Thoughts?"

DC