[Vision2020] The NSA Stuff

J Ford privatejf32 at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 25 13:32:57 PST 2006

I find it funny that Bob H. says in his letter "Parking is sure to come up"
during the CUP hearing.  Yeah, especially since NSA has spent MANY, many
hours "surveying" the situation (in house) and so much of their mike-time at
City Council meetings pooh-poohing the issue as being a NON-issue.

Bob also says "While we maintain that we are and always have been rightfully
located, we are WILLINGLY submitting to the city's Conditional Use Permit
application process and will present information and testimony to satisfy
all the C.U.P. criteria and standards."

Ok, first of all they are NOT willingly submitting to anything.  They got
pushed into a corner because of their own actions, (i.e. continually being
caught in non-zoned areas, lying to the City and the citizens about their
activities, etc.) and when going to court did not get them what they wanted,
but were faced with the Zone Ordinance changes, they put in the application
for a CUP.  NONE of this is being done "willingly."  They are fighting it
tooth and nail and are willing, able and are doing anything they can to
"swing things their way."

Bob goes on to say that they have "created 17 new jobs", have "create(d) new
commercial space business space within the building (I am sure George would
be very happy to know the bakery that HE worked so hard on just so you all
could snatch it away from him based on some perceived wrong done to Wilson
and crew is going to be used by non-CCers - oh, wait !  THAT's not what you
said, is it Bob?  The space is NOT to be used by just anyone else in the
community, its just there.  Sorry...got confused there for a second.) and
they "provide harmonious use" (ok, that one you're gonna have to
explain...whom are you being "harmonious" with? and based on what do you
make that claim?)

As was noted in earlier comments to this site, WHAT 17 JOBS HAVE YOU
CREATED?  Certainly, NOone from the community works for your institution.
These are all Wilsonitas and/or family members you have working there.

I am still waiting for the breakdown of the $2mil you claim to be spending
annually in our fair community and just how you can or did arrive at such a
number.  BTW, are these kids taking out loans to pay for their schooling or
is mom/dad paying out of pocket?  I realize you have many working at WalMart
as well as CC-owned businesses, but at minimum wage or just slightly higher,
this can not equal enough pay to generate a $2mil expenditure in the CBD in
ADDITION to the tuition and book costs you put on them.

Then, in the MDN, we have mr. plaskon saying "People’s feelings about
religious affiliation will receive no legal consideration."  Again, NO ONE
BRINGS THAT UP BUT NSA/Doug Wilson and CCers!!!!  If you look at their
application, it shows a letter detailing the "persecution" that NSA/CC feels
is behind ANYone or ANYthing that is brought up regarding their continued
illegal activities.  And I am not clear on what Ms. Clapperton is meaning
when she says "Anything pertaining to the user will not be considered"
Isn't this whole thing about the "user", i.e. that being NSA?!  Or is she
referring to the fact that only CCer's go to that college?  So we shouldn't
get on those poor people?  Fine...they are not the ones choosing to put this
college in neighborhoods and areas that are not zoned for them.  They are
just attending it.

plaskon goes on to say "the conditional-use process is very expensive for
the city and the application process takes more time to review than other
applications."  Yeah, well if he'd done his job RIGHT the first few times
this came up, HE WOULDN'T'T HAVE TO HAVE THE BOA/CITY COUNCIL DOING IT NOW!

plaskon says "he suspects the criteria that will be disputed most will be
whether New Saint Andrews is in harmony with the surrounding area and the
comprehensive plan, and whether it is a benefit to the public."

If their application is of any clue, the "benefit to the public" is going to
be hard for them to prove.  They are, by their own words, a small liberal
arts school that offers "high-quality (by whose standards, BTW) education in
libral arts and culture from a biblical worldview.  The College's academic
approach, based on Harvard curriculum of 1643, integrates the languages,
history, philosophy, and culture of classical antiquity and Western
tradition in the light of the Scripture."  (I may be a bit off here, but in
1643, was there even a "Western tradition" to teach in the Harvard school?)

Again, these are all fine and well IF you are going to teach at NSA or some
other like-minded school, but what does this mean in the full scheme of
employment?  Some of the students do go on to other colleges to learn their
chosen trade ("government" schools, I might add), because they KNOW they
can't get anything going job-wise with just an NSA diploma!  And since Doug
has made it very clear that he views seminaries (outside of his, that is) as
sinful, what benefit are they producing to the public - heck, to their own
students - in graduating these students with non-employable skills?

I encourage you to read Mr. Jim Meyer's comment posted today...he hits that
nail squarely on the head.

NSA is NOT community minded, is NOT open to anyone except whom they feel are
worthy, is NOT harmonious with the surrounding area and is NOT the kind of
CBD-oriented business that the ordinance requires or allows.  If they want
to operate outside of the CBD in an APPROPRIATELY ZONED area - go for it.
Right now, they are illegal, immoral, and just plain lying to the community
and, again, hoping no one sees through their act.

BTW, NSA - just what is your token women "fellow" doing at NSA?  Her job is
not listed like the men's so I am not sure just what she is "fellowing" in.

J   :|