[Vision2020] Wal-Mart to Hire up to 150,000

Art Deco deco at moscow.com
Sat Mar 25 07:47:18 PST 2006

Matt Decker asks:

"What is a Super Wal-Mart? I think we have talked about a grocery store, gas
station, tire shop, and the regular Wal-Mart. Is there anything else?"

Good question.

It would be interesting to find out exactly what the SWM would be offering
if it initially opens.  Perhaps Matt you or someone else could find out and
tell V 2020 and the local media (who seem always to be behind on this issue
[and others]).

Wal-Mart is a very smart marketing and sales organization.  They (and other
big box stores) keep changing what they carry based in part on what sells,
the profit margin of what sells, cooperative advertising agreements, and
other factors.  What they offer initially will change then as they gain
experience with the area market.

However, your question is good.  If it is known what they are going to carry
initially, their impact on local merchants, especially those who are
generous in their support of local organizations, care be more clearly
estimated.

Perhaps then Matt, you (or some interested party) can the find answers to
your question.

Art Deco (Wayne A. Fox)
deco at moscow.com

PS:  Here is another matter, Matt (no alliteration intended):  When the
present local Wal-Mart first opened, they were the price leader on many
types of products.  Not anymore.  After basically dumping for a period of
time and inculcating by practice the "We are the lowest priced, most
convenient store" mantra in area shoppers, the prices at the local Wal-Mart
have crept up disproportionately so that many products are available at the
same or lower prices elsewhere in Moscow.  While there are some areas where
Wal-Mart is still the price leader, in many areas they are not.  Part of
their strategy locally and nationally has also been to drive out competition
with low prices, then gradually increase their prices (and profit margins)
in those areas where they think competition has been weakened.

Perhaps, Matt in this regard you remember the lawsuit over Wal-Mart's
previous motto: "Always the low price."  They were sued over the
truthfulness of that motto.  They lost.  Now they have an ambiguous,
basically meaningless motto about low prices.

Rose Huskey posted several weeks ago about the experience of the company
that makes Snapper lawnmowers.  Wal-Mart wanted that company to value
engineer their products (read: offer a cheaper product of a lesser quality
made by someone else but with the Snapper label).  Snapper refused.  Many
other companies don't, hence don't expect some of the products offered at
Wal-Mart to be the same quality as what appears to be the same product with
the same packaging offered at other area stores.  Wal-Mart is not the only
store that does this, but they seem to be the most aggressive about it.

This post is not intended to be an argument for or against a SWM, but is a
suggestion that not all the important facts are on the table yet.