[Vision2020] Community Values v. Development

Art Deco deco at moscow.com
Thu Mar 23 13:34:01 PST 2006

Mark,

There are a few salient facts missing from your proposal descriptions:

1.    The exact location of the development and the nature of the
surrounding uses.  For example, if the development is out in the middle of
current productive farmlands, this would not be a supporting factor.
2.    Whether the development is within in the current P&Z regulations or
needs exemptions.  If it needs exemptions, what are the exemptions and what
public (as opposed to private) benefits are proposed to be exchanged for the
exemptions.
3.    Whether the development is asking for abandonment of publicly owned
resources such as easements, right-of-ways, in-place streets, roads, etc.
4.    Who the builder is.  [Some builders can talk a good game, but their
products are less than sterling as some Muscovites have sadly found out in
the last few years.]
5.    The cost of the homes in the development.
6.    The proposed covenants for the developments.
7.    Whether this development is seeking to take advantage of tax laws that
would allow tenants to pay less than taxes regular home-owners would.
etc,
etc.

I can also see a problems with no fencing:  Pets.  Responsible dog owners do
not allow their dogs to run free to annoy others or to run the risk of
perils of harm to the dogs.

After you have answered the above questions, I am sure more will be asked.

In my opinion asking for comments on a development proposal without giving
all the relevant facts does not exceed the minimum ethical standard for
either architects, developers, or real estate salespersons.

If this proposal just a dream or concept hypothesizing, than the lack of
details is not an ethical problem.  If this is a description of an actual
proposal, then...

Art Deco (Wayne A. Fox)
deco at moscow.com