[Vision2020] NSA Pleading Letter

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Wed Mar 22 18:54:35 PST 2006

Greetings Visionaires -

Within the letter so generously posted by Chas, Mr. Hieronymus states that
the 140 full-time students contribute $2 million annually to the local
economy.  This equates to each and every student responsible for
contributing $14,285.71 annually to downtown Moscow businesses.  We must
assume that these expenditures are in addition to such staples as food,
rent, and transportation (expenses the students would normally incur even if
NSA were located in Helmer).  Mr. Hieronymus, could you please provide
evidence of such a claim (not that it has any impact on where NSA is
located)?

Are we to assume that if NSA were moved outside of the central business
district that the students would not be able to find their way downtown?  UI
students have no problem.

Mr. Hieronymus goes on to state that NSA is responsible for the creation of
17 new full-time jobs since it moved to its current location.

Should we further assume that these positions would cease to exist if NSA
were required to follow the spirit and letter of the law by relocating
outside of the central business district?

Your thoughts, visionaries?

And why shouldn't the rich pay taxes?

"The people that write laws are greedy.  They need money to buy votes.  What
better way to get it than to extract it, by force of law, from the
relatively few who can afford the nicer things in life.  If you can buy
something nice then you can pay more taxes so that politicians can give
something to the 'poor' and take a cut for themselves."

- Varnel W. (March 20, 2006)