[Norton AntiSpam] Re: [Vision2020] Borah Symposium:ThreeDisastrous Years in

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Tue Mar 21 18:25:46 PST 2006

We should have maintained a strong multi-national coalition (operating in
tandem with other nations), NOT assuming total command and control of the
war (as Bush has).

Bush should NEVER have disbanded the Iraqi army.  Leaving the Iraqi Army
intact would have provided experienced security to the newly elected
government.  Once the Iraqi military is recognized, have the United Nations
enact sanctions that will monitor the "progress" of the newly elected
government.

Dealing with Saddam Hussein:  Once he was captured, turn him over to the
Kurds.  He is becoming too much of a martyr.  (Unofficially, if I were the
platoon sergeant of the PFC that apprehended Hussein, I would have given
explicit instructions to kill Hussein on sight.  No Hussein, no martyr.)

Once the UN sanctions are enacted and functioning (under control of the UN
Security Council), I would have withdrawn all US military (with the
exception of troops agreed between the US and UN).

We maintain face, respect, and honor, not to mention maybe 1,500+ lives.

Works for me.

"In America, anybody can become president.
That's one of the risks you take . . ."

- Adlai Stevenson